Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
sbradshaw

Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 am

I know there is a Officers Sustained Form with specific wording for sustaining church officers at Stake Conference. Is there a set format for presenting Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations (certain phrases to be used, etc.)?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Postby aebrown » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:29 am

See Handbook 1, Section 16.7.1, which has specific wording for presenting brethren for MP sustaining. There's no specific wording for ratification, but it would be very similar.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks! I don't have access to Handbook 1 since I'm an assistant clerk, but I'll forward this to the clerk. In a Stake Conference setting, would it be sustaining or ratifying? I was under the impression that sustaining was just for callings.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 pm

The word "sustain" is definitely used for priesthood ordinations, as well as callings. It's a ratification if the sustaining happened previously in sacrament meeting; a sustaining if this is the first time it's been presented.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Postby lajackson » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:46 pm

aebrown wrote:It's a ratification if the sustaining happened previously in sacrament meeting;

And the brother was ordained. In this circumstance, at the stake meeting you are ratifying the ordination that has already taken place.

But as has been correctly said, for those who have not yet been ordained, you are sustaining the brother to be ordained, normally in a stake conference or stake priesthood meeting, or in sacrament meeting under the special circumstances outlined in the Handbook.

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:18 pm

Interesting. Thank you! The wording is interesting, and thinking about it, I guess being a priesthood holder is a calling (to serve others in the ward and stake in general and to be a home teacher) and people are needed to sustain him in his calling just as they would any other calling.

Return to “Reports and Forms”