Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Post by sbradshaw »

I know there is a Officers Sustained Form with specific wording for sustaining church officers at Stake Conference. Is there a set format for presenting Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations (certain phrases to be used, etc.)?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Ratifying Melchizedec Priesthood ordinations

Post by aebrown »

See Handbook 1, Section 16.7.1, which has specific wording for presenting brethren for MP sustaining. There's no specific wording for ratification, but it would be very similar.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thanks! I don't have access to Handbook 1 since I'm an assistant clerk, but I'll forward this to the clerk. In a Stake Conference setting, would it be sustaining or ratifying? I was under the impression that sustaining was just for callings.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The word "sustain" is definitely used for priesthood ordinations, as well as callings. It's a ratification if the sustaining happened previously in sacrament meeting; a sustaining if this is the first time it's been presented.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:It's a ratification if the sustaining happened previously in sacrament meeting;
And the brother was ordained. In this circumstance, at the stake meeting you are ratifying the ordination that has already taken place.

But as has been correctly said, for those who have not yet been ordained, you are sustaining the brother to be ordained, normally in a stake conference or stake priesthood meeting, or in sacrament meeting under the special circumstances outlined in the Handbook.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Interesting. Thank you! The wording is interesting, and thinking about it, I guess being a priesthood holder is a calling (to serve others in the ward and stake in general and to be a home teacher) and people are needed to sustain him in his calling just as they would any other calling.
gmcln

Post by gmcln »

is there a way in LCR to print a list of the bothers who are to have their priesthood ordination ratified at stake conference?
if not how then how does a clerk create this list?

thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Ratifying Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations

Post by lajackson »

gmcln wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:28 pm is there a way in LCR to print a list of the brothers who are to have their priesthood ordination ratified at stake conference?
if not how then how does a clerk create this list?
There is no way for LCR to know if an ordination recorded there has been sustained or ratified. A clerk would need to keep a separate list of those who were ordained but not yet ratified.

I always kept a list of those who were to receive the Melchizedek Priesthood and be ordained elders. I recorded who was assigned to interview them, noted when they were sustained and ordained and followed up to see that the ordination was recorded on their membership record. If they were sustained in sacrament meeting and then ordained, I added a note that they needed to have their ordination ratified at the next stake meeting. I did not take them off of the list until everything took place that needed to happen.

But it is definitely a manual process. The clerk may decide whether the list is on paper or in a word processed or spreadsheet file. But the tracking is not automated, at all. I know some clerks who keep a copy of the ordination recommendation form with a note that ratification is needed until it actually happens. Then they file the form.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

One thing we did is run a report of ordinations since our last stake meeting (stake priesthood meeting or stake conference). In general those done shortly after the meeting were using sustained in the meeting (that would be a manual compare) and those ordained later on usually needed ratification, again manual review to verify. But at least that gave us the starting place.
gmcln

Post by gmcln »

Thank you for your responses.
The report of ordinations since the previous stake conference, is that a custom report?
Looking through the reports menu I did not see a report title for such a report.

Return to “Reports and Forms”