Definition of a Young Single Adult

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dwsmith2 wrote:This report is not the Quarterly Report. There is a special report entitled YSA Monthly Report that is to be sent both to the stake and to a Church-wide email address. This monthly report asks about total number of YSA members, number of YSA actives and less actives, number of YSA members married that month, and so forth.

In that case I'd look for instructions related to that report.
dwsmith2 wrote:One student in my YSA ward has a home nearby, but he attends our ward. His membership record remained in his home ward for missionary preparation reasons, but for all intents and purposes he belongs to our ward.
Can you justify that by anything in the Handbook? There isn't anything I know of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dwsmith2

Post by dwsmith2 »

RussellHltn wrote:In that case I'd look for instructions related to that report.
As far as I am aware, there are no instructions. At least, the stake clerk never forwarded any on to me.

RussellHltn wrote:Can you justify that by anything in the Handbook? There isn't anything I know of.
Handbook 2 Section 16.6.6: "The membership records of young single adults should be in the wards where they are members. Leaders and clerks take special care to keep records current. To avoid delays and to avoid losing track of records or people, clerks may also keep an unofficial record for young single adults who move frequently." Because the situation of this YSA member was somewhat unique (beyond what was previously posted), and based on this section, I think it's justifiable.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dwsmith2 wrote:This report is not the Quarterly Report. There is a special report entitled YSA Monthly Report that is to be sent both to the stake and to a Church-wide email address. This monthly report asks about total number of YSA members, number of YSA actives and less actives, number of YSA members married that month, and so forth.

That still leaves me wondering what this report is. Is it a report that is unique to YSA wards or YSA stakes? I know that our regular stake has never received any instructions to fill out such a report.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dwsmith2 wrote:Handbook 2 Section 16.6.6: "The membership records of young single adults should be in the wards where they are members.

I don't see that as changing anything. Other then in the situation where the member will not be there in 3 months, the membership record should be in the same ward as he's attending.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dwsmith2

Post by dwsmith2 »

aebrown wrote:That still leaves me wondering what this report is. Is it a report that is unique to YSA wards or YSA stakes? I know that our regular stake has never received any instructions to fill out such a report.

I'm guessing that the report is indeed unique to YSA units, but I have no official confirmation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the form is being filled out by a YSA ward, then it seems straightforward - all members are YSA. The only time I know of that someone is "counted" whose records are not in the ward is for sacrament attendance.

In the case of someone attending somewhere else (setting aside the question of where the records should be), I'd think the ward who holds the records does the accounting. And if they know they are attending their meetings, then they count them as "attending".

At least that would seem to me to be harmony as to how the other numbers on the quarterly report are handled.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dwsmith2 wrote:I'm guessing that the report is indeed unique to YSA units, but I have no official confirmation.

But the original post certainly doesn't seem to be talking about a YSA ward. So I'm still wondering....
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

This description is very similar to, but not quite the same as, a report that a member of the Presidency of the Seventy asked all stake presidents in the area of his responsibility to complete and return. It was a one-time report. The assignment came through the Area Seventy to stake presidents and came with instructions and a spreadsheet to complete and return.

If you have received such a request and have questions on how to complete the report, return to the person who made the request and ask for clarification.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RussellHltn wrote:In the case of someone attending somewhere else (setting aside the question of where the records should be), I'd think the ward who holds the records does the accounting. And if they know they are attending their meetings, then they count them as "attending".

At least that would seem to me to be harmony as to how the other numbers on the quarterly report are handled.
I agree, count ONLY those whose record you hold, period. While I haven't seen which report your are referring to, I can't imagine the data would be useful to anyone, either in your ward or at church headquarters if you just counted who-ever you wanted. I also look to the quarterly report, line 13:
Record the number of young single adults with a membership record in your unit (indicated on line 12) who attended at least one priesthood meeting or Sunday Relief Society meeting during the last month of the quarter.
and is similar to wording for other attendance figures in RS and PR. A member with a record gets an attendance check-mark if they attend once in the quarterly reporting month. Visitors (those without records in your unit) are not counted AT ALL in the case of RS and PR attendance. Those on missions or otherwise fulfilling other assignments during class time do get credit for attending as per the wording on the rolls, if they have a record in your unit. This gives the incentive for wards to really find their members, and transfer those in or out as needed, and for the correct bishop and qourum/group/rs pres. to be a steward over their YSA. One record, one count.

As mentioned above, only the sacrament count on a quarterly is a "headcount" that will allow a visitor to be counted.
josephwnewton

Re: Definition of a Young Single Adult

Post by josephwnewton »

You wrote: "One student in my YSA ward has a home nearby, but he attends our ward. His membership record remained in his home ward for missionary preparation reasons, but for all intents and purposes he belongs to our ward. The point of the YSA Monthly Report is to track all YSA members, and if we were to not include him in our report, the other ward would list him as not attending, and he would "disappear" to the Church. I think that is contrary to the intent of the report."

I strongly disagree. If you do not have his records, then he does not belong to your ward, and you should not count his attendance. Reporting his attendance as if he is a member of your ward hides the fact that one of your members did not attend. Is that what this is about...trying to make the attendance of the members for which you do have records to look better than it is? If so, why? Reporting correctly puts appropriate pressure on wards to request records & send records where they belong, and signals to the Church where there are issues that may need to be addressed. People that change the definition of reported numbers to satisfy their own opinions about "all intents and purposes" make the numbers meaningless; fudging statistics is what is contrary to the intent of the report.

Return to “Reports and Forms”