Membership Audits

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jonejam2

Membership Audits

Post by jonejam2 »

I am a new ward clerk undergoing a membership audit. One of the items showing on the discrepancy list is a HP that was ordained a 70 by someone the system says did not have the authority to do the ordination.

Any thoughts on how to clear this one up?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jonejam2 wrote:I am a new ward clerk undergoing a membership audit. One of the items showing on the discrepancy list is a HP that was ordained a 70 by someone the system says did not have the authority to do the ordination.

Handbook 1, section 16.1.10, explains how to correct ordinances that are invalid. But in this case, it may well be that the ordination was entirely valid, but the person who performed the ordinance has an incorrect record of his MP ordinations on his membership record.

It's been a while since I worked through the membership audit, but I'm a bit surprised that the membership audit can make this determination. If I understand this correctly, it would require that your ward's MLS would have knowledge of the priesthood office of the person who performed the ordinance at the time the ordinance was performed. If the person performing the ordinance is in your ward, then that is understandable, since the MRN of the person performing the ordinance is on the record of the member who was ordained, and it's a simple enough check. But if the person performing the ordinance is not in your ward, then that would require information that I didn't think was transmitted to your ward's MLS.

So is the person who performed the ordination in your ward? If so, you may want to compare the ordination date on the ordainee's record with the MP offices and ordination dates on the ordainer's record. It could be that the problem is with the ordainer's record.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”