LUWS access for out-of-unit members

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
kboogert

LUWS access for out-of-unit members

Postby kboogert » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:11 am

Hello,

I was recently called as clerk in a YSA ward. My membership stays in my home ward, but I have been entered as an out of unit member in the YSA ward. I have two problems so far.

1) If I try to change the the ward clerk position, I do not show up as an option. Is this because I have not entered, ALL the information. Is there a way to import this information?

2) I do not have access to the YSA wards LUWS.

Any ideas on these items.

ux5

mkmurray

Postby mkmurray » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:17 am

utahbyfive wrote:Hello,

I was recently called as clerk in a YSA ward. My membership stays in my home ward, but I have been entered as an out of unit member in the YSA ward. I have two problems so far.

1) If I try to change the the ward clerk position, I do not show up as an option. Is this because I have not entered, ALL the information. Is there a way to import this information?

Any ideas on these items.

ux5

The following wiki article is very helpful for answering both questions: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Temporary_membership_record#Out_of_Unit_records

For question 1, pay extra attention to the note about entering priesthood ordinance information.
Many questions are already answered on the LDSTech wiki. Check it out!

jdlessley
Community Moderators

non-resident member loses access to home ward website

Postby jdlessley » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:29 am

The wiki article mkmurray linked to titled "Temporary membership record" does not indicate a problem a member will have when added as a non-resident member in another stake. When this is done and you log onto the LUWS the unit displayed is the unit for which you are a non-resident member. You no longer have access to your home ward or home stake websites if your non-resident membership is in another stake. This is not a real problem if the unit you are a non-resident member of in your home stake. You will just have to navigate to the stake home page to get access to your home ward.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:51 am

jdlessley wrote:When this is done and you log onto the LUWS the unit displayed is the unit for which you are a non-resident member. You no longer have access to your home ward or home stake websites if your non-resident membership is in another stake.

That's not quite accurate. When you have been added to another stake as a non-resident member, you will indeed be taken to that other stake when you login to LUWS. But that doesn't mean you don't have access to your home stake site.

You still have full access to your home stake website (and of course the websites for all the wards in that stake). You just have to navigate to your home stake. Once you have logged in, use the "Stake and Ward Websites" link at the bottom of the menu on the left, and find your home stake. Once you have found it, you probably would want to bookmark the page so you can go there easily in the future (after logging in).

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:27 am

Thanks, Alan, for that information. We have had as many as three non-resident members of our stake that complained they could not get to their home unit sites. We tried everything except what you describe. It would have been nice if that information had been available before.

Our stake split in 2004. The new stake still does not have a stake building so they use ours for stake conference and other events requiring a building larger than a single meetinghouse. A member of the other stake presidency was made a non-resident member so he could view the stake calendar and submit resource reservations. He just used his wife's credentials to view his home ward and stake because we could not figure out how to get him there using his credentials.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

crislapi

Postby crislapi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:14 pm

utahbyfive wrote:Hello,

ux5

For #1, it sounds like when they created your out of unit record they did not enter any ordination information for you. You must be at least an Elder in MLS to be a Ward Clerk. Enter your priesthood ordination info (will have to enter baptismal and confirmation info first) in MLS and you will then be able to be selected as a ward clerk in MLS. It would also be helpful for you to enter your membership number so that you don't use up the out-of-unit administrator log ins in MLS.

For #2, a stake website administrator can add you as a non-resident member to the LUWS of the stake you are serving in. He will assign you to one of the wards in the stake - ideally the one you are serving in. You will need to supply the him with your membership number and confirmation date first so he can grant you access. Once you are given access, logging in will take you by default to the ward he assigned you to. You can still go to your home stake web pages, but will have to search for them.

kboogert

Postby kboogert » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:06 am

mkmurray wrote:The following wiki article is very helpful for answering both questions: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Temporary_membership_record#Out_of_Unit_records

For question 1, pay extra attention to the note about entering priesthood ordinance information.

In the document it says:
[INDENT]If members that are serving in the unit wish to access the Local Unit Website, they must be added as Non-resident Members in the administrator section of the website. The membership record number and confirmation date will be needed to add the member.
[/INDENT]I cannot find how to add non-resident members in administrator (I am an adminstrator) section of the website. Has this changed since the doc was published; where is it.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:21 am

It can only be done by a stake website admin.

Note that it's not necessary to add out of unit members if they are serving it the same stake as they already have access. They just have to navigate to the ward where they are serving.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

techgy
Community Moderators

Postby techgy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Note that the "Out of Unit" help section of the LUWS states that adding these individuals is to be done under the direction of the Stake President.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”