Stake Clerk - Computer Users

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
mklobaas

Stake Clerk - Computer Users

Post by mklobaas »

The 2nd counselor to the stake president is not listed as an MLS user. I have heard that he needs to be left off for audit purposes.

Should he be on the computer? Is there anything to the audit issue?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mklobas wrote:The 2nd counselor to the stake president is not listed as an MLS user. I have heard that he needs to be left off for audit purposes.

Should he be on the computer? Is there anything to the audit issue?
One of the counselors in the stake presidency is designated as the Audit Committee Chairman. I assume in your stake's case this is the second counselor. The Stake Financial Audit instructions say:
The chairman is a counselor in the stake presidency who normally does not sign checks and does not perform stake financial record keeping.
So I could definitely see some justification for the Audit Committee Chairman not having Financial permissions in MLS, although even that is debatable, since the instructions only say "normally". It would seem prudent for him not to have Financial permissions, to avoid any appearance that he is involved in financial record keeping.

But taking that to the extreme of saying that he should not even have access to MLS is going too far, in my opinion. He should be able to look at membership records, or activate recommends, or run custom reports, or any number of other membership-related activities, if he would like to do so. None of those activities would violate the financial audit restrictions in the slightest.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”