End a marriage without a divorce date

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
missionbound

End a marriage without a divorce date

Post by missionbound »

The husband and son of a part member family were recently baptized. The members are not active, but the new baptized members are active. While putting the new members into leaders and clerk resources and trying to attach them to the wife, I see that the wife is put in as married to another non member man. That marriage was ended years ago and she has been married to her new member husband for about 15 years. The problem is she does not know the divorce date. Her former husband now lives in another country and is unreachable. She was married in the other country and she doesn't know how to go about getting the records of the divorce. If I try to end the marriage in Leader and Clerk resources it asks for a divorce date. Is there anyway to by pass this so I can record the divorce, add the marriage to the new husband and get their family situated?

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: End a marriage without a divorce date

Post by russellhltn »

Can you get a year? I know in some cases the system didn't demand an exact date, but needed at least a year.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
missionbound

Post by missionbound »

Thanks for the response...when I go in to the leader and clerk resources it is making me put in a full date, unfortunately.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Have you tried doing it with just the year on MLS? Not sure if this is still able to done on MLS any longer, but it might be worth a try.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

missionbound wrote:Thanks for the response...when I go in to the leader and clerk resources it is making me put in a full date, unfortunately.
It asks for a full date but if you click the little question mark icon in a circle by the date it says that you can enter a partial date like just the year or year and month. I haven't had reason to try it myself but I assume it will work since it says it will :).
missionbound

Post by missionbound »

That worked, thanks!

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”