Access rights to order ward materials

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
tdstone

Access rights to order ward materials

Post by tdstone »

We recently called a brother to be the facilities supervisor of our building as our bishop is now the agent bishop for the building. His responsibilities include coordinating the building clean up, ensuring the building is closed and locked on a nightly basis, etc. One of his responsibilities is to order any supplies that we share with other wards in the building (i.e. sacrament cups, paper for library, etc). He recently tried to order sacrament cups for the building on store.lds.org but was told he did not have authorization to do so. Do you know how we can grant him that access?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Access rights to order ward materials

Post by russellhltn »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's a typical grouping of responsibilities. Typically a agent ward (bishopric/clerks) would order the supplies and bill the other units.

Off hand, I don't know of how to grant him those rights without also granting far-reaching rights (admin to the calendar, etc.) as rights are granted by holding an appropriate standard position. Perhaps there are callings within the Priesthood that would allow him to order cups.

You may have to settle for him notifying the appropriate clerk.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't see anything in the handbook against having the ward building representative order supplies (I looked mainly in Handbook 1, chapter 8). It sounds like a logical way to do things. But like russellhltn says, Store.LDS.org only gives special access based on calling. Is your facilities supervisor entered into Leader and Clerk Resources with the standard ward calling of "building representative"? I'm not sure if Store.LDS.org would recognize that calling, but it would be more likely than a custom calling.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Nothing really against it, but that doesn't strike me as a "building supply". Handbook 2 (which is aimed at wards and stakes) : 20.4.2 Preparing the Sacrament says "Sacrament trays and cups are available from Church Distribution Services". Likewise, if it was a FM responsibility, then I wouldn't expect ward leaders to be able to order it.

In the Facilities Management Guidelines for Meetinghouses we find: "The facilities management group furnishes all cleaning solutions, materials, and equipment necessary for members to complete their cleaning assignments. The supplies are stored in an accessible member closet in each meetinghouse." I've never seen sacrament cups in the member closet.

I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just not the typical way of doing things - and the rights on store.lds.org reflect that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:Likewise, if it was a FM responsibility, then I wouldn't expect ward leaders to be able to order it.
Sacrament cups are the unit's responsibility, not the FM group. But I didn't see anything in the OP about the FM group. It sounded like the agent bishop called a member of his ward to manage building issues for the agent ward and wanted him to order consumables like paper and Sacrament cups. When I was clerk in the agent ward I always handled ordering supplies and my current ward clerk orders for us now as agent ward. But I can see wanting to delegate this responsibility.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone other than bishopric and clerks has the ability to order unit only supplies. So short of calling him also as an assistant ward clerk (which would give him access to a whole lot more than just ordering), I don't think it can be done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote: So short of calling him also as an assistant ward clerk (which would give him access to a whole lot more than just ordering)
As well as requiring stake approval.

davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I'm ward clerk for an agent bishop. Actually ordering the supplies is easy and quick. The challenge is watching for when the supplies are needed, which would be a big help for us if we had an individual who could just bird-dog that.

As an example, our Library recently reported they were out of toner for the copier, yet they had 6 toner cartridges. I found out all 6 were depleted and not one of the librarians mentioned it to anyone until the copier was down and it was now "urgent" to tell someone. We keep a small stash (about 2 weeks worth) of sacrament cups hidden in the clerk's office because we never know they are getting low until they out on Sunday morning before Sacrament meeting... We added a toner cartridge for the Library to the stash, LOL.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:The challenge is watching for when the supplies are needed, which would be a big help for us if we had an individual who could just bird-dog that.
Exactly. It seems like the simplest solution is have him email the clerk (or whoever is designated) when it's getting low.

drepouille

Post by drepouille »

davesudweeks wrote:As an example, our Library recently reported they were out of toner for the copier, yet they had 6 toner cartridges. I found out all 6 were depleted and not one of the librarians mentioned it to anyone until the copier was down and it was now "urgent" to tell someone.
It really helps to have a clerk be the husband of a librarian. But I agree with you that most meetinghouse libraries and clerk's offices usually have a pile of empty toner cartridges lying around, and nobody knows how to dispose of them, or whom to inform when new toner is needed.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:... usually have a pile of empty toner cartridges lying around, and nobody knows how to dispose of them, or whom to inform when new toner is needed.
We turn our used cartridges in to Office Depot for recycling. They do not charge me to drop them off.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”