Membership Info, who can have?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kmalone wrote:I think the bigger issue is that most members don't view the info that critical. I get request all the time to change someone last name and I have repeated numerous times in PEC/Ward Council church policy so please don't ask me until you have spoken with the Bishop.
The policy there is that it's the member's legal name. Lacking any paperwork, talking to the Bishop first sounds like a good plan. The Preferred Name can be most anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

RussellHltn wrote:I've never heard of such a thing being done by the WML.

If the WML just wants to know if one year has passed, that would be one thing. You could tell him yea/nay before getting the member's hopes up.

It sounds to me like you really need to sit down with the Bishop and discuss this. Or call the stake clerk since he's in charge of ward clerk training.
Except that if the new member just wants to do baptisms for the dead, no waiting period is applicable. As long as they are over 12, they could get a limited-use recommend 2 minutes after being confirmed. It just takes an interview with the Bishop. I'm sure the Bishop would be more than happy to interview the new member and get them in the temple as soon as possible.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Digressing a little, I have given EQ and RS presidents and secretaries access to MLS to enter/edit their HT/VT districts, visits, etc. In order to do this, they need to have at least permission to view membership. This is of course with Bishop approval. Not surprisingly, he gave it.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”