Ordination to HP

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
kmalone-p40

Ordination to HP

Post by kmalone-p40 »

Okay, I have an instance that a member of our ward needs is be submitted to the HC for approval for advancement to HP.

I was instructed by the Bishop to contact our HC rep for a "green sheet'. Now I know I am new to this calling but I was expecting a green form to fill out and be submitted.

What I got was a stack of blank papers that was green. So I am thinking, am I a victim of some sort of prank, like looking for a "concrete stretcher" or is this a Stake level deal and not CHQ policy that the recommendation be supported on colored paper.

Dazed and confused, moving forward with caution looking for someone with a camera to jump out and yell we "gotcha ya".:D
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kmalone wrote:Okay, I have an instance that a member of our ward needs is be submitted to the HC for approval for advancement to HP.

I was instructed by the Bishop to contact our HC rep for a "green sheet'. Now I know I am new to this calling but I was expecting a green form to fill out and be submitted.

What I got was a stack of blank papers that was green. So I am thinking, am I a victim of some sort of prank, like looking for a "concrete stretcher" or is this a Stake level deal and not CHQ policy that the recommendation be supported on colored paper.

Dazed and confused, moving forward with caution looking for someone with a camera to jump out and yell we "gotcha ya".:D
There's certainly no CHQ policy about colored paper.

So I would guess this could be a prank, but more likely your stake has a practice of printing the MLS "Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record" on green paper so that it is easy to keep track of as it moves through your stake's internal processes. Since the form is printed from MLS, blank paper would be appropriate.

But whoever handed you the paper could have been a bit more helpful :).
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:There's certainly no CHQ policy about colored paper.

So I would guess this could be a prank, but more likely your stake has a practice of printing the MLS "Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record" on green paper so that it is easy to keep track of as it moves through your stake's internal processes. Since the form is printed from MLS, blank paper would be appropriate.

But whoever handed you the paper could have been a bit more helpful :).
So If someone is recommended for advancement as in this case, I have to go to MLS and print something? This is the first I have heard this. What does the MLS form print?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kmalone wrote:So If someone is recommended for advancement as in this case, I have to go to MLS and print something? This is the first I have heard this. What does the MLS form print?

In MLS, go to Reports/Forms, then choose Print Form. From the list choose Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record. Then choose the person, and MLS will fill in the basic information (ward, stake, name, MRN, birthdate, etc.).

Then you print out the form. The bishop takes the form first, interviews the candidate, and then if the candidate is found worthy, the bishop signs the form and passes it on to the stake presidency. A member of the stake presidency interviews, then signs the form. Then a stake representative (may be a high councilor, or member of the stake presidency) takes the form and makes sure the ordination happens properly. He fills in the information on who performed the ordination and when.

Then a copy of the form is given to the ward clerk to record the ordination on the membership record, and the original goes to the stake clerk. The ordination certificate is prepared by the stake clerk (or in some stakes this is done by the ward clerk), the stake president and stake representative sign the certificate, and finally it is given to the newly-ordained Melchizedek Priesthood holder.

Some of these details may vary from stake to stake, but this is the basic process, and the form is the key to making sure that each step is done and properly recorded.
kmalone-p40

Post by kmalone-p40 »

Thanks Alan. I appreciate it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:But whoever handed you the paper could have been a bit more helpful.
I have lived in stakes where a form is used to request callings and releases for stake callings. In some cases, the stake prints these forms on colored paper. Green is a common color. Others use light yellow or light blue. It causes the paper to stand out in the pile of other stuff a high councilor takes home from his meetings.

Before MLS, the priesthood ordination request form used to be a white form from Salt Lake with a blank ordination certificate at the bottom.

Some stakes copy priesthood ordination requests onto the same color of paper that is used for callings. Personally, I have always preferred that they just stay on white paper.

In either case, MLS now prints out the form, as Alan explained.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”