Membership Audit

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
crawil

Re: Membership Audit

Post by crawil »

I am a Stake Clerk and just finished all of our units' membership audits. What I did, based on my interpretation of the instructions. I setup an appointment of at least an hour with the Ward Clerk and Bishop. If either of them were not available, then an assistant Clerk or bishopric counselor needed to be present. When we conducted the audit, the clerk sat at the computer with the Bishop and I looking over his shoulder. I had the Clerk read the instructions out loud so everyone knew what the instructions were. Just about every Clerk did not have the "inside information" to know who was married, baptised, or ordained so the Bishop would read down the lists and say, "Check them." After the process was done, I had them fill out the form with who was going to complete what and sign the form. I took a copy of the form for the Stake and left a copy, or two, with them to work off of. We also found that most of the items came from the step listing missing parents, birthplaces, etc. We printed that page since the missing information was not listed on the Audit Exception Report.

After just about each audit, I then spent as much as an hour walking the Clerk through LCR and explaining several of the new features. I think it was a good experience for all involved!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

crawil wrote:with the Ward Clerk and Bishop
This was the first year I performed membership audits with both the clerk and the bishop of each ward. It went so much more smoothly having the bishop there – first of all, it helped everyone understand the importance of keeping accurate records; and second, there were many cases where the bishop knew more about the members than the clerk (ordinations, marriages, etc.).

It's easy to forget that the clerk is responsible for recordkeeping in the ward under the direction of the bishop. Clerks often have more experience with the mechanics of recordkeeping, but they aren't necessarily the experts on the status and circumstances of ward members.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Biggles

Re: Wireless Survey of church building with Netspot

Post by Biggles »

sbradshaw wrote: It's easy to forget that the clerk is responsible for recordkeeping in the ward under the direction of the bishop. Clerks often have more experience with the mechanics of recordkeeping, but they aren't necessarily the experts on the status and circumstances of ward members.
I couldn't agree more, as a Ward Clerk, I've forgotten the number of times I've found out about an Ordinance etc., by chance, sometimes months after the event!

I have put procedures in place, but if these aren't followed for whatever reason, then these events can slip through the cracks. I've found that most of these omissions occur when I'm away for a few Sundays.

This is just an observation and is in no way a criticism of my Bishopric as they are always under pressure to do their callings, for the betterment of the membership.
chrisgrant

Post by chrisgrant »

The November 4, 2015, release notes for Release 3.1 of LCR say: "Ward clerks can now conduct membership audits using LCR." (Emphasis added.)

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”