Tithing Settlement - Its That time of year

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I served in a Bishopric years ago when the membership duties were entirely on cards and not on a computer. We used a few minutes in advance of Tithing Settlement to have each member review their membership records to be sure that all ordinances, mailing address, phone, etc, were correct.

With the MLS this year I'd make the suggestion that it would be a great time to remind the member about the lds.org web site (LUWS) and if they're not already signed up, encourage them to consider it. It they are signed up, remind them to verify their Email address. This can go a long ways in eliminating some of the Email bounces that we see when a Email broadcast is sent around.

You don't have very long so some preparation will need to be done in advance. Perhaps a small hand-out for each member telling them about the LUWS and asking that they check it frequently. A copy of their membership record will need to be either printed or else displayed for them to check while they're in the clerk's office. A printed copy would be better as you can make corrections on it then update MLS later.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:A copy of their membership record will need to be either printed or else displayed for them to check while they're in the clerk's office. A printed copy would be better as you can make corrections on it then update MLS later.

The Individual Ordinance Summary should be used for this purpose, rather than the membership record, which is only for bishop and clerk use.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

The way we distribute the IOS forms throughout the ward is slightly different. I include it with the YTD summary which is distributed in the first part of November. Included are one of two letters from the Bishop, depending on whether they made any contributions or not. They are similar letters, just worded slightly different. Both letters invite the member to participate in tithing settlement and have brief instructions on how to register to use the LUWS.

The advantage of this is 100% of the membership will get some kind of an envelope (avoiding undo embarrassment) and can all review their IOS. We distribute as many as we can by hand before Sacrament Meeting and between other meetings, then mail the rest.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

2008 Tithing Settlement Official Letter

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:The last one was dated 5 Oct 2007, and I know I've seen many of them over the years. They are sent to both bishops and stake presidents.

The dates were:

On or after 15 Nov 2007: Begin tithing settlement
31 Dec 2007: End tithing settlement
1 Jan through 31 Jan 2008: Bishop sends Tithing Declaration Report
1 Jan through 31 Jan 2008: Ward clerk transmistsTithing Declaration Report
One week before TS begins: clerk distributes Donation Summaries

Interestingly, they didn't mention the Tax statements (although other communications did).

The Tithing Settlement letter for this year is dated 15 October 2008; as usual, it has been sent to bishops and stake presidents (and branch, mission, and district presidents). It is very similar to last year's letter, so it matches the dates that I posted above (one year later, of course).

The letter also recommends a review of the Tithing Settlement training lesson available through the MLS help menu or at lds.org under Serving in the Church.
drp-p40

Post by drp-p40 »

I am the financial clerk in our ward (this is my first time being a clerk, and I've only had the calling for a couple of months now), so I'm still learning, and have a long way to go.

Do the YTD Donation summaries need to go to all the members, even the less active ones ( I assume so, but want to be sure)?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drp wrote:I am the financial clerk in our ward (this is my first time being a clerk, and I've only had the calling for a couple of months now), so I'm still learning, and have a long way to go.

Do the YTD Donation summaries need to go to all the members, even the less active ones ( I assume so, but want to be sure)?
The lesson on Tithing Settlement I mentioned a couple of posts ago says "Before tithing settlement begins, the clerk should do two things. First, he prints and distributes a Tithing and Other Offerings Statement for each donor.... "

Note that it says "each" donor, so that seems pretty clear that if they have made a donation, they should get a statement. The statement talks about "donors" not "members" so I don't see any reason to send a blank statement to a member who made no donation unless you have reason to believe that it is likely they will make a donation in the year.

Also, the 15 October 2008 letter regarding "Dates for Tithing Settlement and Annual Tithing Reports" says:
At least one week before tithing settlement begins, clerks should print out Year-to-Date Donation Summaries. Clerks should deliver the statements to donors. Donors should be encouraged to compare this statement with their own records and report differences to the bishop. Needed corrections may be made before tithing settlement.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

drp wrote:I am the financial clerk in our ward (this is my first time being a clerk, and I've only had the calling for a couple of months now), so I'm still learning, and have a long way to go.
LOL! When I took over as finance clerk a number of years ago, it was just before tithing settlement also. What a way to get quickly immersed in your calling! :o

Alan speaks to truth about the training videos. They are a wonderful resource. I still like to review them now and again as there is so much good information there and it's hard to remember it all. You'll find this forum can also be a great resource for information about your calling. I sure have.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ffrsqpilot

Post by ffrsqpilot »

I'll echo Alan's response. Only send the donor statements to those who have donated. Sending donor statements to every member who is listed in the ward membership is wasteful. For some it might be a gentle reminder but for other it may be just something immediately sent to the round file. (Got that from the bishop as explained below)!

I was made a ward clerk shortly after I moved to our new home. My first tithing settlement was a real learning experience. I faithfully printed out donor sheets for every member and made out envelopes for all. I had them all ready to send out when I got to thinking "what would a member who never donates, or is totally inactive want with a blank slip"? I asked the bishop prior to sending out all the donor sheets and he said to just send them to those who had donated. I wish I would have asked before hand as I wasted a lot of paper and envelopes that could have been used for a better purpose.

I think Alan has the right "interpretation" of the intention in the directions sent out by headquarters. At least that's my two cents worth.

Jim
kmalone-p40

Non -Tithe Payers

Post by kmalone-p40 »

Since I haven't done this before, can I print just those who donated from MLS? Sorry i don't have internet access at the ward house.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

kmalone wrote:Since I haven't done this before, can I print just those who donated from MLS? Sorry i don't have internet access at the ward house.
Yes. MLS will give you the option to print only those who have donated.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”