How long to have permissions set?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
eblood66

Re: How long to have permissions set?

Post by eblood66 »

alandd wrote:Great information, thank you!

I fully understand the need to be careful with member record numbers!

I checked MLS with the Ward Clerk today. Everything was as expected. Therefore, it looks like I need to be setup as Ward Assistant Clerk--Membership in order for me to do what we had planned. I am currently setup as Ward Assistant Clerk--Technology, which evidently does not give me the permissions we expected.
Ward Assistant Clerk--Technology is a custom position and custom positions never grant any rights. Your bishop should decide whether to add the standard calling Ward Assistant Clerk--Membership or the standard calling Ward Assistant Clerk. If you already have a clerk who is primarily responsible for membership then I'd suggest just adding the Ward Assistant Clerk calling so that people don't get confused and come to you with membership issues. If the bishop desires you can leave the custom calling to clarify what your specific responsibilities are when people look in the lds.org Directory.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I'm just wondering: Isn't an assistant ward clerk of any "flavor" supposed to be called by the Stake leadership? So maybe the ward can't just fix this without getting the stake's okay.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

mrrad wrote:I'm just wondering: Isn't an assistant ward clerk of any "flavor" supposed to be called by the Stake leadership? So maybe the ward can't just fix this without getting the stake's okay.
I assume the stake extended the calling in the first place. Adjusting MLS to grant the rights necessary to to perform the calling seems reasonable especially since it sounds like Assistant Ward Clerk is the closest standard calling available. But it never hurts to check with the Stake President to make sure.
alandd

Post by alandd »

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure it is a custom calling title. That explains it.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Knowing a few things allows me to proceed.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”