Mass Text and Emails on Stake Level

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
sbarzee1

Mass Text and Emails on Stake Level

Post by sbarzee1 »

Has anyone figured out an easy way to mass text or email everyone in the stake? There should be an easy way to export them from MLS or do it on lds.org. I have found various ways to to all adults in a way or leaders from ward auxiliaries, but not the entire stake at a time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mass Text and Emails on Stake Level

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know as there is an easy way. Keep in mind that if you do that kind of mass-email, (thousands of addresses), you could well be classified as a spammer and have your account locked.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When I had the ability to e-mail everyone in the stake on the old Stake and Ward web site, I usually received from 50 to 100 error messages due to invalid or "full" e-mail addresses. I also received complaints from members who were "far too busy" to receive such nonsense messages.
Even now, when the stake presidency asks me to send a message to all bishoprics, I have my doubts that half of them bother to read such messages.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbarzee1 wrote:Has anyone figured out an easy way to mass text or email everyone in the stake? There should be an easy way to export them from MLS or do it on lds.org. I have found various ways to to all adults in a way or leaders from ward auxiliaries, but not the entire stake at a time.
Certainly the stake clerk and stake president can use the Send a Message feature in Clerk Resources on LDS.org to send an email message to all stake members or all adult members in the stake. Very few callings are authorized to see the "all members" option, but it can be done.

The good thing about using the LDS.org Send a Message feature is that you won't run into any "spammer" limits, because the message is being sent by LDS.org, not by your personal email client.
johnscotthunt

Post by johnscotthunt »

I'm a stake exec secretary and have used the "Send a Message" tool twice on behalf of the stake presidency. There is a family who have moved out of the country, whose records are no longer with the stake, but they continue to receive emails when I use this tool. They've asked to be taken off "the distribution list" but I have no control over who receives emails when I send a message to all adults in the stake. Any advice on how this family can opt out?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnscotthunt wrote:I'm a stake exec secretary and have used the "Send a Message" tool twice on behalf of the stake presidency. There is a family who have moved out of the country, whose records are no longer with the stake, but they continue to receive emails when I use this tool. They've asked to be taken off "the distribution list" but I have no control over who receives emails when I send a message to all adults in the stake. Any advice on how this family can opt out?
I'd call Local Unit Support and work with them to see what may be going on with their records. Since they're out of country, perhaps their records are in "address unknown" or some other odd place that prevents the list from getting updated. If the records are not in the stake, there's nothing else under your control.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

When you prepare to send the message, you'll see all the recipients listed in the BCC field. If the message is being sent to them, then their name should appear in that list. If it does, that might give you some clue. Perhaps the exact name will help you discover that their records really still are in your stake. Another possibility is that somehow their email address got associated with a different member of your stake. That would be unusual, and hard to track down, but it's a possibility. Or, the system could be malfunctioning, as suggested in the previous response.
Brodtheglorious

Post by Brodtheglorious »

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Brodtheglorious wrote:Google Groups. Easy peasy.
Am I missing something? Seems like it would be a royal pain to keep all the emails updated.

1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

aebrown wrote:When you prepare to send the message, you'll see all the recipients listed in the BCC field. If the message is being sent to them, then their name should appear in that list. If it does, that might give you some clue. Perhaps the exact name will help you discover that their records really still are in your stake. Another possibility is that somehow their email address got associated with a different member of your stake. That would be unusual, and hard to track down, but it's a possibility. Or, the system could be malfunctioning, as suggested in the previous response.
On a Ward basis as the Exec. Sec. I have done what aebrown has suggested. I like the send a message alot, and the Bishopric has me use it in behalf for them. The Bishop has even on occasion used it himself. Sometime when a death has occurred in our ward the Bishop wants an immediate mass message sent out. Sometimes it is not really good to have that message go to family members so I go through and delete the family members from the BBC field. Great Tool.
I wish they would post edit items such as bold, italicize, and things like links etc.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”