Reimbursement Check

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
maldwin

Reimbursement Check

Post by maldwin »

We have several young men who signed up to attend EFY. The ward cut a check to cover the fees and sent it to Salt Lake City. Later a couple of the boys opted out and did not attend. We received a reimbursement check from Salt Lake City for the cost of the boys who did not attend.

I am not sure what the procedure is to enter a check like this into MLS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Reimbursement Check

Post by russellhltn »

Where did the funds come from? If from budget, you can return it to budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
maldwin

Post by maldwin »

No budget has been created for anyone, or any organization in our MLS system. I also checked wiki and was not able to find an answer.

My question is actually about procedure. In my limited knowledge of MLS all I know about entering money into MLS is through the donor window. Is it the same for a reimbursement check?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

maldwin wrote:No budget has been created for anyone, or any organization in our MLS system. I also checked wiki and was not able to find an answer.
Was the expense for the EFY from budget allowance or was it from other account such as Participant Fees? EFY is one of those activities where you could ask the participant to pay the cost. This will make a difference on where you deposit the funds and what you do after you deposit the funds.
maldwin wrote:My question is actually about procedure. In my limited knowledge of MLS all I know about entering money into MLS is through the donor window. Is it the same for a reimbursement check?
You will process it as a donation using whom ever the check was from as the donor. You would place the funds in the account where the original expense came out of.
maldwin

Post by maldwin »

The money to EFY was written on a budget line item, so there is no problem putting it back.

Now I understand the procedure. Thank you. I appreciate the help
dchadcluff

Post by dchadcluff »

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I had something similar just happen where I am and want to make sure I understand the procedure.

Out ward was recently overcharged for a doctor's visit that we payed for out of fast offerings budget. The doctor's office sent us a rebate check. If I understand correctly, I should take that check and enter it into the donations, marking that it was donated by the doctor's office and mark it as fast offering.

Is that correct, or am I way off base?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dchadcluff wrote:Out ward was recently overcharged for a doctor's visit that we payed for out of fast offerings budget. The doctor's office sent us a rebate check. If I understand correctly, I should take that check and enter it into the donations, marking that it was donated by the doctor's office and mark it as fast offering.

Is that correct, or am I way off base?
That's basically correct. You have to get the refund money back into Fast Offerings, and the only way to do that is to deposit it into that category. The important thing is to make sure that there is no credit for a donation, given that this is a refund, not a donation.

With your proposal, the "donation" will be made by the doctor's office, not an individual, so you probably wouldn't send them a charitable donation statement at the end of the year. In this situation, some units choose to use a donor called "Anonymous" or "Refund" so that there is no temptation to issue a charitable donation statement. That approach avoids any potential problem, but makes it a little harder to track where the money came from. Either way can work.
dchadcluff

Post by dchadcluff »

Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

In this case, I may make a donor named "Refund: <Dr X Office>" and then we'll know at the end of the year what it was all about.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”