Blessing Certificate

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
eblood66

Re: Blessing Certificate

Post by eblood66 »

braneof wrote:Is there any way to do it for a child blessed in your ward who is now a member of another ward? The "Certificates" page won't let me do anything if the child isn't a current ward member.
No, I don't believe it's possible anymore. In MLS you could fill in the information if you didn't have the record but that isn't possible in LCR.
weston497

Post by weston497 »

I have followed the steps above, however, when I view/print the blessing certificate the blessing date is missing - even though I updated it.
rmlds2000

Post by rmlds2000 »

braneof wrote:Is there any way to do it for a child blessed in your ward who is now a member of another ward? The "Certificates" page won't let me do anything if the child isn't a current ward member.
I'd like to know the same thing. Despite blessings "normally" being performed in the ward that the child is a member of record, in our unit they are frequently blessed out of state and need to have a blessing certificate printed in that unit for the correct unit and presiding authority to be displayed on the certificate. The only solution I can see right now would be to pull the record, print the certificate, and then send it right back. It would be great to have an option in LCR to print certificates when the record is not in your ward.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rmlds2000 wrote:Despite blessings "normally" being performed in the ward that the child is a member of record, in our unit they are frequently blessed out of state and need to have a blessing certificate printed in that unit for the correct unit and presiding authority to be displayed on the certificate.
I believe that the certificate should be printed in the home ward and signed by that bishop even if the actual blessing was performed elsewhere. That is the bishop who has stewardship over the child and who must give authorization for the blessing to occur. This is similar to ordinations and blessings where the the home ward must record the ordinance and print the certificate even if it occurred elsewhere.

I know that the practice used to be that the blessing would be recorded by the ward where it took place and then sent the record to the parent's ward. But the handbook has never been specific about which bishop should sign the certificate and given how LCR is now programmed, I think it indicates that the home ward bishop should be the one.
rmlds2000 wrote:The only solution I can see right now would be to pull the record, print the certificate, and then send it right back.
I'd never recommend doing that. It causes the membership record to have an incorrect history and means that the home ward must then put the child back into the correct household.
klricks

Post by klricks »

No... The current ward will have to do it and the name of the current ward will show on the certificate.
Assistant Ward Clerk
sappington

Post by sappington »

I need a copy of the blessing certificate for my son [ ]. He was born [ ]. How do I get one? Carolyn Sappington

[Identity theft information deleted. This is a public forum.]
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

The ward where he currently lives would have to print the certificate, and it would contain the name of the current ward, as well. Blessing information is not normally kept in the membership record system. Based on the birth date you provided, it is unlikely he still lives in the ward where he was born.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The ward where he currently lives would have to print the certificate, and it would contain the name of the current ward, as well.
And signed by the current bishop. It may lack details such as who blessed him.

In short, it's unlikely to be a satisfactory replacement for historical value and all it would do is confirm that he was blessed.

Furthermore, because blessing is not a saving ordnance, for a time the church was not recording that information on the membership record. It's entirely possible the church has no record of his blessing from which to create even a basic certificate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
goofygloria

Post by goofygloria »

I just need the date of my blessing and who performed the blessing
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

goofygloria wrote:I just need the date of my blessing and who performed the blessing
Talk to your ward membership clerk.

He may or may not be able to get that information. Since blessings are not a saving ordnance, there was a time when they were not recorded in a way that stayed with the membership record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”