When and How do you count attendance in sacrament?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jasonfitt

Re: When and How do you count attendance in sacrament?

Post by jasonfitt »

jirp wrote:My assumption given that when I was made clerk was the goal for attendance count was those present for the sacrament. If they came in late enough to miss that then it didn't count. So likely our count has been low from the late arrivals by 5 to 10 each week if any attendance counts.
I have not read anything that specifies to only count those who are present while the sacrament is being passed. I'm not sure where you get that from, but if you can find anything please post. Under 'Clerk Resourses' in LDS.org it says to, "Include in your count all individuals who attended sacrament meeting, members and nonmembers alike." To me, that means count all who attended anytime during that hour and 10 minutes. So, I count whoever comes in late, or leaves early regardless of whether they were there for the passing of the sacrament.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

If you have direction from your Priesthood leader then I would follow that council, however, if not, I would tend to be more liberal in my counting - It is the bulk of money that funds the ward's activities.. it ought to represent the actual activity.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Broshark

Post by Broshark »

I used to walk around and count head now I seat at the opposite side of the Sacrament table which used to be were the clerks used to sit and take tally, I use the app Tally Counter on my iPad and start when the sacrament song starts most of the time I'm done before sacrament starts. I watch the YM that goes into our foyer if hes quick no one out there if he out for a bit I watch the door and count them as they come in.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”