Priesthood Ordination process

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
drepouille

Re: Priesthood Ordination process

Post by drepouille »

I am preparing to train clerks in my stake conference this weekend, and I plan to cover forms and procedures used to track and record various ordinances. In each case, fairly specific procedures are printed on each form, and I plan to use those procedures in my training.

The MP ordination form says to give the completed form to the ward clerk, but to also give a copy of the completed form to the stake clerk. Both copies are to be maintained until the next membership audit.

Not to start another thread here, but my job would be much easier if the stake clerk could update more ordinances, as well as callings. For example, I think the stake clerk should be able to record any "ward" calling that is controlled by the stake (interviewed by stake, sustained by stake, and set apart by stake). It would also be easier for all clerks at all levels if they could record ordinances and ordinations via a web interface. I know that feature is coming, but I spend a lot of time begging ward clerks to please take time to record such in their ward MLS.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drepouille wrote:The MP ordination form says to give the completed form to the ward clerk, but to also give a copy of the completed form to the stake clerk. Both copies are to be maintained until the next membership audit.
That's a good point, and may explain why the flowchart we are discussing includes that step. But once MLS started allowing the stake to record MP ordinations, I considered that instruction on the form to be obsolete, and thus we ignore it.
Biggles wrote:But isn't it also true, that by giving the Ward Clerk the form, it acts a double check that the Ordinance has actually been recorded?
If I as stake clerk am responsible for recording the ordinance, I would not give a ward clerk the responsibility to double check whether I performed my responsibility. Our stake's process has an explicit check to make sure that the ordinance appears on the member's record. That is sufficient and much simpler than the extra steps of moving the form around and hoping the ward clerk will follow up on my work.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

As the stake clerk, I must also keep track of all ordinations that need to be ratified. For that reason I keep copies of all MP ordination records in my files. Then it is a simple matter to compile the ratification list.
ptharp

Post by ptharp »

aebrown wrote:Thanks for sharing that flowchart. A couple of comments:
  • It might be worth noting that stake conference is not the only option for sustaining MP ordinations; it can also be done at stake general priesthood meeting.
  • The ordination must be sustained before it can take place; in the "special circumstances" you mention, it still must be sustained in the ward's sacrament meeting (and later ratified at a stake conference or general priesthood meeting).
  • I'm not sure why you have a step for giving a copy of the form to the ward clerk. We certainly don't do that in our stake, and I don't see why it would be necessary or even helpful. The ordinance has been recorded at the stake level, and that update will appear in the ward MLS (along with a notification of that update).
  • There are a couple of typos and one arrow pointing the wrong direction.
The reason I gave a copy of the ordination to the ward was because at the time this chart was made, when I entered the priesthood ordination, it was showing up on the stake computer, but it was not showing on the ward computers, so I had printed a copy of it showing that it had been done. (Not the case anymore).

I updated the flowchart and am re-posting it, cause i couldn't update the old attachment from my old post.
Attachments
MPFlow.xlsx
(17.99 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Last edited by aebrown on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix quote tags
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

In item #3, change Counselor to Councilor.

There is also the case where there is no bishop's interview, such as when an elder is called to be either a bishop, a bishop's counselor, or as a member of the HP group leadership. In this case, there is only the stake interview.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”