Clerk Training

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
drepouille

Re: Clerk Training

Post by drepouille »

Clerk Training August 2013.pptx
(54.34 KiB) Downloaded 1172 times
I am conducting another breakout session for clerks during stake conference this Saturday. I have attached a pptx file for your amusement. The PowerPoint contains hyperlinks to four PDF captures of ordinance records, which I have also attached.
Attachments
Child Blessing Record.pdf
(39.42 KiB) Downloaded 14119 times
Baptism and Confirmation Record.pdf
(56.04 KiB) Downloaded 22561 times
Aaronic Priesthood Ordination Record.pdf
(36.12 KiB) Downloaded 3610 times
Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record.pdf
(41.87 KiB) Downloaded 24288 times
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

Do you have your info in a powerpoint format? I see the second presentation but what about the first one?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

OK, I have attached my March 2013 training. It is long and wordy, and covers a lot of ground.
Attachments
Clerk Training March 2013.ppt
(98 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
goodkid21

Post by goodkid21 »

I'm a new clerk and have found this thread to be quite helpful. As I was getting organized, it occurred to me that it might be nice to create a shared Calendar (could be google) that has the expected monthly, quarterly, biannual, and yearly clerk stuff plugged in. The details of the event could have the step-by-step instructions for printing/filing the reports and such. I just took the "cheat sheet" mentioned above and plugged it into my personal calendar, but no need for everyone to re-invent the wheel so to speak. Then a new clerk could just subscribe to the shared clerk calendar and, boom away he goes.
Jester_ag

Post by Jester_ag »

As A new Clerk here as well, I have spent days reading through these forums. I like a lot of the information but is there an overview somewhere that has a list of Clerk items? like:
1. attend Bishopric, PEC, Ward Council & take notes
2. Attend Ward disciplinary council & take notes (fill out form online and submit)
3. Order Toner (ink) for printer x from location x & paper from x.
4. review training video's & read the articles on "getting started for ward clerk" as these are required for Audit (and good info to know)
5. how to setup tithing settlement & what to print
6. how to do the signature card for signing checks
7. what info is needed for end of year audit
8. how to order missionary plaques
etc...

I have been gathering information from the previous 2 ward clerks, but a list of items would be helpful for the newbies.
rshopkins99

Post by rshopkins99 »

I'd like to down the ppt on Clerk Training and the Cheat Sheets mentioned attached above. However when I click the links it appears they're no longer available. Just me? Anyone else? is it possible for someone to repost them? I agree as well that a list of responsibilities would be very help for us newly called. At least to make sure we have got all the correct pieces in place and are able to begin functioning in our callings as well as to know what dates, etc are critical for reports.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

No, there's a problem with attachments. I think there's a issue with security rights on the server the forum is hosted on. I'd check back some time next week after the church employees have returned to work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rshopkins99

Post by rshopkins99 »

Thanks....will do!
jirp

Post by jirp »

Jester_ag wrote:As A new Clerk here as well, I have spent days reading through these forums. I like a lot of the information but is there an overview somewhere that has a list of Clerk items? like:
1. attend Bishopric, PEC, Ward Council & take notes
2. Attend Ward disciplinary council & take notes (fill out form online and submit)
3. Order Toner (ink) for printer x from location x & paper from x.
4. review training video's & read the articles on "getting started for ward clerk" as these are required for Audit (and good info to know)
5. how to setup tithing settlement & what to print
6. how to do the signature card for signing checks
7. what info is needed for end of year audit
8. how to order missionary plaques
etc...

I have been gathering information from the previous 2 ward clerks, but a list of items would be helpful for the newbies.
On number 1. Something probably more important than the notes is creating an agenda ahead of time with the information moved forward from previous weeks. I will attach our agendas from last week and discuss why a bit since there are some lessons in our learning curve that also show.(because of special characters these files will only show correctly for windows users. Sorry) (names and intials and some callings change for privacy reasons.)

For most of my first year we ran with a generic agenda that mostly didn't change week to week. What we found was things were discussed with no action or the can kept being kicked down the road or people were not doing their task and reporting back. So in an effort to improve the return and report and keep things on task we went to a specific agenda. Numerous versions were tried from templates. Mostly they either took to long to fill out or scattered across so many pages they took a small forest to print.

So this one developed. On the first line below the header is the legend but it also serves as my cut and paste source for the special characters used in the file. The boxes at the beginning let us mark completed tasks quickly for removal once completed. The circle and the line at the end of each line are where assignments are recorded. Since we have only one set of duplicate initials in the WC possible attendees tracking assignments by initials works well for our ward. Tasks or welfare needs stay on the till completed. We found some were getting stuck on the agenda because of lack of completion so you will notice a few with dates after the item. There again we recently implemented this to encourage faster competition. An assignment is noted and is marked on the next weeks agenda for the person to report on it.

Lets look at the bishopric one. So for example that means AB was assigned to change the meeting times in the paper so we will ask the them this week if it is done. The first 2 callings the bishop wants to do together to try and keep the tipping domino effect under control. So the long list of names on the 2nd calling have been waiting on inspiration. The young womens camp director was called last sunday and all tasks were completed so she won't move down to the called section. On the other hand the elders quorum 2nd was mostly completed but still needs a key transfer that one will move to the called section.

Now lets look at the WC agenda. Notice the first part is identical to the bishopric one. Then notice how items are covered then reports from each president. Finally is a list of other actions.
Attachments
Sample bishopric Agenda.doc
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 402 times
sample WC agenda.doc
(25.5 KiB) Downloaded 351 times
lewisnewton

Post by lewisnewton »

The "Clerk Training March 2013" slide set posted by Council Bluffs Iowa Stake is excellent. I went through it and updated it to make it a bit more current. I didn't include the "Home Storage Center" slide as it wasn't relevant to us, but the rest of the material is there. Thank you for sharing your slide set.

I've attached two attachments:
1. The side master set edited using LibreOffice
2. A pdf copy of the slide set

Lewis Newton
Ward Clerk, Bennett Valley Ward, Santa Rosa Ca. Stake
Attachments
Clerk Training March 2013 - Updated March 2015.pdf
(137.65 KiB) Downloaded 1202 times
Clerk Training March 2013 - Updated March 2015.odp
(29.27 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”