Made a record for someone who doesn't exist - how do I make it go away?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
justin.vandusen

Made a record for someone who doesn't exist - how do I make it go away?

Post by justin.vandusen »

In my defense it was my first week on the job. I was entering information for a couple of new babies in the ward and accidentally added them both to the same family when they come from different families. Before I realized my mistake I hit send changes. Now I have a record (including record number) for a person who doesn't exist. I already tried combining the records but headquarters sent me a message saying they weren't the same person. The only solution I can think of is to call headquarters to sort it out but how do I go about contacting them?
justin.vandusen

Post by justin.vandusen »

I just found I could send a special request and just tried asking them to remove the record through that avenue. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Before you try to call Church headquarters, you should try canceling one of the records. In MLS, go to Membership Records > View and Update > Cancel Record. Select the record you want to cancel, and for the reason, select "Duplicate Record." That should fix the problem.

The fact that "Duplicate Record" is an option shows that this feature was designed with exactly your situation in mind.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”