Naming and blessing a child: how old is too old?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
williamjackson

Naming and blessing a child: how old is too old?

Post by williamjackson »

My bishop asked me to search for guidelines on whether there is an age limit for naming and blessing a child, and if so, what that limit might be. We both searched the Handbooks and other publications like the Family Guidebook, and there is reference to blessing older children by laying hands on their head, but no indication of an upper age limit.

I'm going to suggest he take this question to the stake president, but I'm curious if anyone here has received any instruction concerning an age limit for naming and blessing children. How old is too old? 8? 9?
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I would say that children age 8 or older should not receive a "name and a blessing" in Sacrament meeting as we do with infants because they should be Confirmed in Sacrament meeting after their Baptism. The priesthood holder performing the Confirmation may certainly pronounce a blessing during the Confirmation as the spirit directs.

In my opinion priesthood leaders should understand and teach that the "name and a blessing" ordinance is not a saving ordinance, and is not required for salvation or in order for a "child of record" membership to be created.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Part of the name/blessing is to create a membership record for the child. MLS will not allow a record to be created after the child's 8th birthday (they would need to be baptized). It's up to the parents and the bishop if the child is given a name and a blessing before they turn 8.

A record may also be created without a blessing with the permission of the parents. Written permission is required from any non-member parent.
success1414

Re: Naming and blessing a child: how old is too old?

Post by success1414 »

As a member of our ward bishopric, this topic came up in our bishopric meeting today. We are having the home teachers give a blessing to the 7 year old member in her home, and having the ward clerk record it. She will be baptized next year but the mother wants her daughters name attached to her records, until the baptism. We felt inspired this was the right decision for our situation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Naming and blessing a child: how old is too old?

Post by russellhltn »

success1414 wrote:She will be baptized next year but the mother wants her daughters name attached to her records, until the baptism.
Note that a blessing is not a prerequisite for creating a Child of Record membership record. See Handbook 1:13.6.2 item #4.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”