Introduction for NEW Assistant Clerks

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jgamber

Introduction for NEW Assistant Clerks

Post by jgamber »

I'm a ward clerk and we have recently called two new assistant clerks over Finance and Membership. Has anyone created a resource handout that can be given to new clerks to introduce them to the calling w/ website training resource, calling checklist's, etc...? I don't want to "re-invent the wheel" if one already exists. These will be the first assistants called since I've been the clerk and I'm a bit overwhelmed trying to gather resources to turn them loose on. Thanks!
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

When training assistant clerks I've used the following scriptures to give them insight into the spiritual aspect of their calling:

A Record in Heaven

 Malachi 3:13-18 – book of remembrance those thought upon name of Lord
 Revelations 3:5 – faithful not blotted out of the book of life
 D&C 76:68 – names written in Heaven
 D&C 127:7 – record in Heaven
 D&C 128:8 – out of books dead judged
 Revelations 20:12 – dead judged from book of life
 D&C 128:6-8 – judged out of books, books opened, judged by works written; “whatever you record on earth shall be recorded in Heaven”
 D&C 128:10,14 – Peter has sealing keys; records for dead are part of sealing power and keys
 Moroni 6:4 – numbered among the people of Christ
 D&C 132:8 – Behold, mine house is a house of order, saith the Lord God, and not a house of confusion.

Otherwise there isn't a single introduction training for clerks, but the wiki has multiple resources that are useful. For assistant clerks your most useful resource would be https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Clerks Standard videos for training would be at http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,6074-1,00.html

Those cover your main bases but sitting down with the person and doing MLS things together is usually the best way I've found.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

In addition to what rbeede has given the appropriate sections in Handbook 1 and Handbook 2 should be studied.

There are a large number of articles in the wiki. The overwhelming number of articles is best approached by selecting the tasks identified in the Handbook and reading the articles related to those first.

For example the finance clerk should read the wiki articles Donations, Expenses, Printing checks, Financial clerk, and Unit Financial Statement to get an idea of his immediate tasks to perform. These are found in the Financial group of clerk wiki articles.

The membership clerk should read the wiki articles Membership clerk, Callings, Membership record, Membership Validation Report, Moving membership records, New move-ins, Recording ordinances, Ordinance and ordinance certificates, and Updating membership records (MLS).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jgamber

Post by jgamber »

Thank you both for your responses. Very helpful!!

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”