Create a new record for a newborn baby

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
s_brady

Create a new record for a newborn baby

Post by s_brady »

Hello,

How do you create a new record for a newborn baby?

The Member List for my ward does not include records for several babies born over the past few years so I have been attempting to determine how to input them. I looked in each of the menus and tried to find instructions in Help but did not find the answer. It's probably right under my nose but I can't see it. :P

By the way, I am not referring to the MLS software in the clerk's office but to the online membership interface at LDS.org:

lds.org > login > Leader and Clerk Resources

Thanks
williamjackson

Re: Create a new record for a newborn baby

Post by williamjackson »

At the moment, you cannot create a new record using Leader and Clerk Resources. You must do it in MLS.
s_brady

Post by s_brady »

OK, thanks Brother Jackson.
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

A new membership record is created when the baby is blessed in the ward. If they haven't been blessed I don't know if you create a "record" for them. (That wouldn't happen until they are baptized). When the baby is blessed you print a Blessing Certificate.

I'm not really sure what the churches policy on this is (a baby blessing that was never recorded).
I have the same thing in our ward. Find out a 18 month old didn't have the baby blessing recorded from their previous ward. I'm kind of just trusting the dad that it happen. We are still waiting for the parents to tell us when it actually happen.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tubaloth wrote:I'm not really sure what the churches policy on this is (a baby blessing that was never recorded).
I have the same thing in our ward. Find out a 18 month old didn't have the baby blessing recorded from their previous ward. I'm kind of just trusting the dad that it happen. We are still waiting for the parents to tell us when it actually happen.
I wouldn't worry about it. Blessings are not a saving ordnance and while it is recorded in MLS, it isn't recorded at CHQ and that information will not survive a move-out.

While the usual situation is for the record to be created when the child is blessed, a blessing is not a requirement to create the record. See Handbook 1: 13.6.2, item #4.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bigbraydon

Post by bigbraydon »

A baby does not need to be blessed in order to appear on the ward roster. A record can be created before the blessing occurs.
gmitch

Post by gmitch »

So, where is it done in MLS?
I have a child that is listed under both parents in the "family" tab, but has no member number and does not show under "household"
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What is the history? Convert? New move-in?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

gmitch wrote:So, where is it done in MLS?
I have a child that is listed under both parents in the "family" tab, but has no member number and does not show under "household"
That means that the child does not have a 'Child of Record' membership record in your ward.

Since there is no membership number listed that probably means that there is no record for the child. But if the family moved into the ward after the child was born then you should probably try requesting the child's record in LCR just to make sure it didn't get created but is not linked to his or her parents. If you do find their record you'll want to remove the child's entry on their parents record and re-add the child using the membership number found.

However, assuming you don't find their record you'll need to select Membership > Ordinances > Child of Record in MLS to create a record for the child. This will automatically add them to the household. You may have to delete the old entry on the parents' record afterward if he or she shows up twice under Family. You do that by finding each parent's record in MLS, selecting the Children tab and then clicking the Remove link by the entry without an MRN.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:Since there is no membership number listed that probably means that there is no record for the child.
A common situation with a family of new converts. It seems the mission creates the records of those who are baptized and notates the children on the records, but does not create a child-of-record for them. If the clerk is not alert, this can create added problems.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”