Backside of ProvidentLiving.org

Discussions about other LDS websites such as Mormon.org, ProvidentLiving.org, etc.
pritchet1
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:12 am
Location: Richland, WA
Contact:

Backside of ProvidentLiving.org

Postby pritchet1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:50 am

Why is it that the website backside is "MS Internet Explorer only"? I'm specifically pointing to the Ward Employment Specialist section for downloading reports. As far as I'm concerned, we should be using W3C standards and not be tied to proprietary web browsers. I understand that most if not all the other church websites have been "playing nice". This one has not.
Robert L Pritchett
Always learning and once in a while coming to a knowledge of the truth.

User avatar
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 44
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Herriman, Utah, USA
Contact:

Internet Explorer 6 only

Postby HaleDN » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Even though the copyright date on the bottom of the page is 2008, this is actually a much older section of the lds.org site (the footer is included across all the pages in this section).

All of the pages on Church sites that have been created in the past few years are compatible with a much wider standard of browsers. Unfortunately, the JavaScript validation on these pages are preventing users from even attempting to use the site with other browsers (that is so 90's!) ;-). But since the task to modify or rewrite this section of the site to allow compatibility across browsers is probably some time off, it is easiest (quickest) to just use IE. (Personally, I use FireFox as my main browser, but I still keep IE around for issues like this)

User avatar
ShirtsDre
Member
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:53 am
Location: Utah
Contact:

Employment Resource Services Database

Postby ShirtsDre » Wed May 14, 2008 11:52 am

The "Employment Resource Services Database" was written quite a few years ago. Internet Explorer 7 works well with it too. It would simply take more time and resources to get this application to be fully cross-browser compliant before it's redesign project is completed, so it is merely being maintained until then.
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson

techgy
Community Moderators
Posts: 3174
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: California

Postby techgy » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:00 am

pritchet1 wrote:Why is it that the website backside is "MS Internet Explorer only"? I'm specifically pointing to the Ward Employment Specialist section for downloading reports. As far as I'm concerned, we should be using W3C standards and not be tied to proprietary web browsers. I understand that most if not all the other church websites have been "playing nice". This one has not.


The current version of FireFox doesn't seem to have any issues with the Providentliving.org web site. However, keeping IE around for those situations in which FF isn't friendly is good advice.

kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 am
Location: Alnwick, UK

Postby kennethjorgensen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 am

Techgy wrote:The current version of FireFox doesn't seem to have any issues with the Providentliving.org web site. However, keeping IE around for those situations in which FF isn't friendly is good advice.


I use Firefox 3 and one of the add-on's I cannot do without is "IE Tab" which allows me to use IE for those situations. If a page doesnt load up correctly you simply click on one icon at the buttom and it switches to the IE engine. You can also add webpage to always load like that.

I know it can seem like defeating the object but its a solution to a real problem.

So I use Firefox with the IE Tab for some sites and my theme is "Cromifox". Best of all 3 :-)

jbh001
Community Moderators
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

Postby jbh001 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 pm

haledn wrote:But since the task to modify or rewrite this section of the site to allow compatibility across browsers is probably some time off, it is easiest (quickest) to just use IE. (Personally, I use FireFox as my main browser, but I still keep IE around for issues like this)


dkjorgi wrote:I use Firefox 3 and one of the add-on's I cannot do without is "IE Tab" which allows me to use IE for those situations. If a page doesnt load up correctly you simply click on one icon at the buttom and it switches to the IE engine. You can also add webpage to always load like that.
Unless, of course, you are using a Mac, in which case, IE is not available or supported any more by Microsoft, which also means that the "IE Tab" add-on doesn't work on the Mac OS X version of FireFox.

But then again, I also navigated to the Ward Employment Specialist page on www.providentliving.org with the current version of Firefox (3.0.6) without any apparent problem.


Return to “Other Websites”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest