labs.lds.org News

Discussions about other Church websites
MorettiDP

labs.lds.org News

Post by MorettiDP »

Hi, guys!

Today I received the New Era Newsletter from September with an invitation to see a new "Youth Site". The site is wonderful and some beautiful. In the bottom on the site a link guide me to https://labs.lds.org. In this address, like this "Youth Site" beta test have other wonderful features, like a "Parents Site", Ward directories in a web browser and in cell phones, General Conference new features (with a journal of study), and (the best feature to me) a presentation about the future of LDS.org and how members, leaders and visitors will have access to features related to Church callings, country of residence and other interest diversities.

The great problem is: To stay inside the site, I used a login and password in the New Era Newsletter. I read the newslatter and delete the message, and lost these data. Trying to access the site with my LDS Account data is impossible.

Have any of you news about these new features or are currently a beta test of the various systems now in test? Will be interesting to know how we can be involved in the projects.

Thanks
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Joel Dehlin has a post on his blog with the username and password. Better yet, though, he has instructions on how to enable access for your own LDS account.

I like what I see so far. It almost appears they are marketing the new ward website we've all been waiting for to the youth so as not to anger us old folks with "change". :D
atticusewig

New Member directory at the labs

Post by atticusewig »

Tried out the new member directory at the labs.

Interestingly it lists the birth month and day for
each member.

Funny thing is: A couple weeks ago I created a
new child of record and moved in a new family
to my ward. On the current LUWS, the child
hasn't shown up in the membership directory,
and the new family only lists the current HofH
despite having no "confidentiality" settings enabled.

On the new member directory at the labs, everything
shows up flawlessly. Even the birth info (not year).

- Atticus
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I looked at it as well. I noticed that at this point is strictly a phone list for the ward membership. No stake, no other wards in the stake, no leadership list, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

At first I was trying to find the ward directory on the youth site. Didn't realize it's just at the labs.lds.org page. :o

I noticed that the name search is the same as the new name search in MLS, where it will search the entire name string, so I can pull up all of the folks named "Matt" in my ward. Alas, it only works on the Head of Household field, and not the children.

Also, I noticed that the email field is from MLS. It's good to only have one source of the information, but allowing one email per person will have to be fixed in MLS or this is going to be a step back from the current LUWS paradigm of one email per login.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

oregonmatt wrote:Also, I noticed that the email field is from MLS. It's good to only have one source of the information, but allowing one email per person will have to be fixed in MLS or this is going to be a step back from the current LUWS paradigm of one email per login.
I've been told Church developers are hoping to incorporate the necessary changes to email and phone number fields within MLS by the end of the year (cross your fingers). Such fields would be tied to the individual rather than the household.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

One general question I have not understood about the community project for the web site: Is this now the only vehicle in plan for enhancing LUWS?

Prior to the announcement of this project on the wiki, there was a general assumption that Church developers had a significant LUWS release in the pipeline. Is that no longer true, or was it not really the case all along?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

boomerbubba wrote:One general question I have not understood about the community project for the web site: Is this now the only vehicle in plan for enhancing LUWS?

Prior to the announcement of this project on the wiki, there was a general assumption that Church developers had a significant LUWS release in the pipeline. Is that no longer true, or was it not really the case all along?
I tried to clear this up a few months back when I first learned for myself the true state of things. I can't remember exactly where I posted though.

Comments from Church employees indicated that LUWS was just barely getting started earlier this year when it started appearing on the Wiki. Perhaps when we thought they were working on LUWS 2.0, they were only laying groundwork and infrastructure. Or perhaps it was only being talked about and planned, rather than any actual implementation. Either way, what you see on lab.lds.org and on the Wiki is the current status of the new LUWS.

It appears the member directory and calendaring are the first features being worked on.
ihenpecked

Can the older folks still get in?

Post by ihenpecked »

Trying to get into lds labs. Any chance of them letting me in to play around.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

ihenpecked wrote:Trying to get into lds labs. Any chance of them letting me in to play around.
There was an email address named at the Tech Talk that you can submit a request to and get access (as long as their quota is not filled).

It was labs (at) ldschurch (dot) org. Just tell them your LDSAccount username and that you would like access to the Labs environment.

Return to “Other Websites”