Tithing

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
williamjackson

Re: Tithing

Post by williamjackson »

lajackson wrote:I believe (but do not know for sure) that you have to be eight years old to establish an account [...]
I can verify that the requirement is eight years old. I just tried it. :)

All is well, though. My daughter had a beaming smile when she came down off the stand after handing her envelope to a member of the bishopric. I will keep that up as long as I can.

Of course, I will have a beaming smile once the online donation system is rolled out to my unit.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:So that the inevitable question of "when" is answered: I don't know for certain. I've heard some estimated release dates in internal discussions, but it's not my place to provide them.
And here are the next inevitable questions, for which you should also feel free not to provide an answer. Would you be able to share if the roll out will take place by stake, or by area, or by some other size in between? And do you sense, if the expansion works well, an interest in completing the process earlier than the end of 2015 if possible?

And a bonus question, for the terminally inquisitive. Are the server folks worried about the upcoming stress test? [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ah, let's just cut to the chase: when's my stake getting it? :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:And here are the next inevitable questions, for which you should also feel free not to provide an answer. Would you be able to share if the roll out will take place by stake, or by area, or by some other size in between? And do you sense, if the expansion works well, an interest in completing the process earlier than the end of 2015 if possible?
I have not heard how the deployment will proceed. Access to the first beta has been on a stake-by-stake basis, but I'm not involved in the discussions about the final deployment. No one wants to drag this out any longer than necessary. There is an internal target for a release date, but it's not mine to share.
lajackson wrote:And a bonus question, for the terminally inquisitive. Are the server folks worried about the upcoming stress test? [grin]
The server folks pay attention to those things. There have also been discussions with the LDS Account folks because a lot of people who haven't needed an LDS Account before will probably create one.
russellhltn wrote:Ah, let's just cut to the chase: when's my stake getting it? :D
I believe your stake is actually getting it a few weeks after the general release. We want to make sure it's really stable so you have the best possible experience. :rolleyes:
mevans

Post by mevans »

Someone asked if the existing Bill Pay system would be kept. Does anyone know? I really prefer this because I don't have to do double entry. I just initiate it from Quicken and it goes and records it. I know others prefer it for recurring payments. I really hope they keep Bill Pay as an option.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:Someone asked if the existing Bill Pay system would be kept. Does anyone know? I really prefer this because I don't have to do double entry. I just initiate it from Quicken and it goes and records it. I know others prefer it for recurring payments. I really hope they keep Bill Pay as an option.
I don't know how long Bill Pay will be kept, but if you look at Q13 in the Answers to General Questions section of the help doc, there certainly seems to be an implication that Bill Pay will still be an option, even though "Online Donations is the preferred electronic method for donating to the Church."
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

It was originally setup for people living in areas where there is really no organization to 'accept' their tithing... expats, etc.. so I think we'll see it for a long time. The additional benefit of not reporting it to the local ward can come in handy for certain situations as well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnshaw wrote:The additional benefit of not reporting it to the local ward can come in handy for certain situations as well.
The "not reporting it to the local ward" seems to no longer be the case, at least as a default. Every bill pay donation set up in the last year or more will indeed report it to the local ward. But there have been reports of people who set it up long ago where the donations are not reported to the local ward. That may still be an option, but it's certainly not the default, at least in my experience.
robartsd

Post by robartsd »

Now you must specifically request that donations are not reported to the local ward. They don't ask if you want to keep your donations private, but I believe they will set them up that way if requested.
addseo1118

Post by addseo1118 »

Thank for sharing. :)

Return to “Online Donations”