Tithing

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting comments.

But if we're taking bets, IF credit cards are accepted, either they will carry a surcharge to use them or they'll be treated as a cash advance by the credit card company. I don't see the church eating the processing fees that are normally paid by the merchant. (As much as I'd love to earn Amazon Gift Cards for paying tithing .....)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:IF credit cards are accepted, . . .
Right now, the process is linked to a checking or savings account at a financial institution with a conventional ACH routing number (e.g., bank, credit union).

I do not see any additional options happening in the future, at least in my own personal opinion.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The online donations system has been officially announced:
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/f ... -donations
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:The online donations system has been officially announced:
http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/f ... -donations
The Church Online Donations website will be rolled out to congregations in the US throughout 2015, and the Church will notify local leaders when it is available in their area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hrhneenerita wrote:ONLINE DONATIONS IS CURRENTLY LIMITED TO BETA USERS ONLY
Now that the official release announcement has been made, you get a nicer popup that says the Online Donations option is not yet available to members of your local unit. Leaders in your local unit will probably make an announcement when the system is available, which should be no later than the end of 2015, as it is rolled out across the U.S.

I noticed that when you sign in at the LDS.org home page, there is now a Donations link in the right column under Tools and Support, so when it does become available it will be easy to get to the site.
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

I have a question for anyone that has been using the beta. Is it possible for a person to make a donation on behalf of a child in their household? Can I, as a father, use the online system to make a donation that is attributed to my Primary-age daughter?

Although, even if it is possible, she loves taking her envelope to the bishop so much I will probably encourage her to continue to do so.
jdhjones

Re: Tithing, online donations

Post by jdhjones »

Does anyone know if there will be an option to keep your donation information private with this new system that is being rolled out, as in not available to be viewed by local ward leadership on the ward computer?

I've been paying my tithing directly to SLC for years through bill pay, and I know that my local ward has no visibility to those donations, which is why I started using the direct bill pay option. Call me crazy, but I don't need the ward clerk, finance clerk, bishopric members and the bishop to know how much money I make.

If privacy is not an option on the new system, I hope that the old bill pay system will remain open as another option.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

An initial summary from Mormon Life Hacker said that, indeed, the local leaders would have access to donation records just as they do when you give a donation to a member of the bishopric. This conclusion was supposedly based on a Help Center Document at LDS.org which seems to indicate that local leaders will be able to help correct mistakes, meaning they will be able to access records of donations made through this system. But the church's official document doesn't make it entirely clear (to me, at least. It's just mostly clear).
williamjackson wrote:I have a question for anyone that has been using the beta. Is it possible for a person to make a donation on behalf of a child in their household? Can I, as a father, use the online system to make a donation that is attributed to my Primary-age daughter?
According to the "Answers to General Questions" section of that Help Center page, due to privacy and legal concerns you can only make or view donations linked to your own membership.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdhjones wrote:If privacy is not an option on the new system, I hope that the old bill pay system will remain open as another option.
The new Online Donation instruction merely say that this is the preferred method of electronic donation. Any online donations using the new system will create a batch in MLS as if the clerk and bishopric member had made the deposit. I do not know how long the current bill pay systems (there are more than one) will be kept.

When I started bank bill pay nearly a year ago, I was not given the "privacy" option. My bank bill pay donations also create a batch in MLS just as if I had handed the bishopric an envelope. I am aware that earlier versions of bank bill pay did allow donations to be kept only at Church headquarters.

Tithing in kind donation records (such as stocks or other securities) are still kept only at headquarters, but that was not your question.
williamjackson wrote:Is it possible for a person to make a donation on behalf of a child in their household? Can I, as a father, use the online system to make a donation that is attributed to my Primary-age daughter?
No. The person donating has to have their own LDS Account. I believe (but do not know for sure) that you have to be eight years old to establish an account, and doing so requires parental permission until age 13 (U.S. federal law requires this).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Also, IIRC, the minimum donation is $1.

Return to “Online Donations”