Tithing

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Tithing

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:All that's missing is the website URL.
The web site URL is missing because the application is not yet generally available. For those looking for the online documentation: https://www.lds.org/help/support/financ ... -donations

So that the inevitable question of "when" is answered: I don't know for certain. I've heard some estimated release dates in internal discussions, but it's not my place to provide them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing, online donations

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I am actually surprised that you apparently will be able to donate to the ward missionary fund in a different ward, as well.
What surprises me is that this appears to expose the name of missionaries serving in a broad (country-wide?) area.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:So that the inevitable question of "when" is answered: I don't know for certain. I've heard some estimated release dates in internal discussions, but it's not my place to provide them.
Mindreader! [grin]

I suppose we should still steer interested members toward the bank bill pay system at least until . . . nah, I shouldn't go there. hehehe

But thanks for the encouragement that it actually is coming.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I hope they don't get rid of the bill pay method. I can pay a bill much more quickly by clicking Send on a transaction in Quicken than I can logging into a different web site and setting up my transaction there.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:I hope they don't get rid of the bill pay method. I can pay a bill much more quickly by clicking Send on a transaction in Quicken than I can logging into a different web site and setting up my transaction there.
The reason I really hope that Bill Pay is retained is that I can set up recurring payments that require no effort at all. The new system doesn't mention recurring payments, so you have to remember to go into that system each time you want to make a donation. Hopefully the ability to set up recurring donations will be added at some point; until then, I'll stick with Bill Pay (except for Ward Missionary donations, which aren't possible with Bill Pay but will be possible with the upcoming system).
hrhneenerita

Post by hrhneenerita »

any new news about WHEN it will be available to the general church members?
hrhneenerita

Post by hrhneenerita »

ONLINE DONATIONS IS CURRENTLY LIMITED TO BETA USERS ONLY so my question is how to become a beta user
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hrhneenerita wrote:so my question is how to become a beta user
Considering all the infrastructure behind this, I strongly suspect you have to belong to a ward that is part of the beta.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

hrhneenerita wrote:any new news about WHEN it will be available to the general church members?
The beta test has been going on for several months now. Although we do not know when the system will become available to the general membership, hopefully it will not be too much longer.
russellhltn wrote:
hrhneenerita wrote:so my question is how to become a beta user
I strongly suspect you have to belong to a ward that is part of the beta.
That is correct. You have to belong to a participating stake.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There are some more details about the tithing system in the comments at a blog called "Reach Upward":
I was involved in the development of this online payment system and since it has been opened to a few stakes, I can provide a few details.

It will most likely be available to everyone sometime this year, if not by the next quarter. The beta test has been extremely successful.

All private info is retained by Zions Bank, which has the resources and compliance structure in place to mitigate identity theft.

Once a user sets up a default bank account, paying tithing is quick and easy. It would take no more than one minute of your time to initiate the payment from beginning to end at any time of the day. The Church records your payment on your record the same way as if the ward clerk had done it himself.

It has been so wonderful to see this system created and go live during the beta test. I sincerely hope that its availability will help members(and non-members alike) increase charitable donations because of how easy it will be to do so.
http://reachupward.blogspot.com/2015/03 ... oming.html
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Online Donations”