Church Directory of Leadership usage.

Discussions about other Church websites
martinjen

Church Directory of Leadership usage.

Post by martinjen »

I run a commercial business which primarily caters to members of the LDS faith. I have been informed that about a year ago (spring 2012) a Bishop of the Mormon Church was a customer - I have reason to doubt whether the person is/was a Bishop in the LDS Church.

I have a friend who is a Bishop, is it appropriate for my Bishop friend to search the Church Directory of Leadership and cross check names of my male customers to verify whether a Bishop was in fact customer?

My only purpose is to confirm whether or not in spring of 2012 a LDS Bishop was a customer/client
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church Directory of Leadership usage.

Post by russellhltn »

martinjen wrote:I have a friend who is a Bishop, is it appropriate for my Bishop friend to search the Church Directory of Leadership and cross check names of my male customers to verify whether a Bishop was in fact customer?
The Conditions of Use for the CDOL states:
You may view, download, and print material from this site only for your personal, noncommercial use directly related to your work for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (whether as a volunteer, as part of a Church calling, or as a paid employee of an affiliated legal entity). You may not make available material from this site on any other Web site or on a computer network. You may not use this site or information found at this site for selling or promoting products or services, soliciting clients, or any other commercial purpose.
I don't see your request as satisfying those requirements.

martinjen wrote:My only purpose is to confirm whether or not in spring of 2012 a LDS Bishop was a customer/client
I'm not sure why that would make a difference, but I'd suggest checking with some phone listings in his area to see if he's listed. At least that information is public.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
martinjen

Post by martinjen »

Thanks for the reply.

All I am looking for from my Bishop friend is to search the CDOL and reply back with:

"Yes, there is a name on your client list which matches a Bishops name."
or
"No, there is no name on your client list which matches a Bishops name."

I have doubts a Bishop is on the client list, so I just want to confirm whether a Bishop is on the year old client list.

Is there someone on this board who manages the CDOL and could state whether my request is within the bounds of my Bishop accessing the CDOL and performing the search based on names from my year old client list?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

martinjen wrote:Is there someone on this board who manages the CDOL and could state whether my request is within the bounds of my Bishop accessing the CDOL and performing the search based on names from my year old client list?
I don't see why you would need someone else to state whether your request is in bounds. There is certainly no way to reconcile your request with the restriction that any usage is "only for your personal, noncommercial use directly related to your work for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Your request is for a commercial purpose, and in no way is it related to your bishop friend's role as the bishop of his ward.

Hence your request is out of bounds. I'm certain that if you carefully read the CDOL terms of use quoted above, you'll come to the same conclusion.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

martinjen wrote:Is there someone on this board who manages the CDOL and could state whether my request is within the bounds of accessing the CDOL?
Manger types typically don't hang out here. There is a CDOL developer who frequently speaks up on technical issues, but I don't know as he can authoritatively answer your question.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Other Websites”