mormonsandgays.org videos broken?

Discussions about other Church websites
DrJ1234

mormonsandgays.org videos broken?

Post by DrJ1234 »

I recently found the church's site about same-sex attraction, mormonsandgays.org, which features videos about the subject. Unfortunately, none of the videos play for me. They all say "The video stream is not available."

I've tried in Chromium on Ubuntu 12.04, and IE9 in Windows 7. Both gave the same error. Both have the most recent version of Flash installed.

Is it something weird with my setup (router somehow blocking it?), or is this broken for everybody?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Those videos work just fine for me on Win7, using Chrome, Firefox, or IE9. So I would guess that you have some issue with filtering software on your computer, or something on your router/firewall that is blocking those videos.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

The filtering issue seems possible, as some companies may choose to categorize the site as 'gay/lesbian', 'LGBT', or similar, however, Blue Coat, including the K9 filter for home use, and Websense do call this one 'Religion' or 'Traditional Religions' which is the correct categorization. No categorization information is publicly available for Zscaler.
ross.rick

me too! Problems with the vidoes in ubuntu

Post by ross.rick »

My wifes windows7 machine plays the videos just fine, whereas my ubuntu machine (12.04, both chromium and firefox) can't play the videos...they appear as just images. Same home firewall router. I can play videos from lds.org just fine.
ross.rick

Post by ross.rick »

I tried my same machine but with windows7, firefox 13, and it worked.

I went back to ubuntu, and reinstalled flash. This started things working for firefox, but it still doesn't work for chromium.

As an aside, the video/audio synchronization (or lack thereof) is pretty distracting...It seemed to happen on all versions of OS/browser I tried.
DrJ1234

Post by DrJ1234 »

JamesAnderson wrote:The filtering issue seems possible, as some companies may choose to categorize the site as 'gay/lesbian', 'LGBT', or similar, however, Blue Coat, including the K9 filter for home use, and Websense do call this one 'Religion' or 'Traditional Religions' which is the correct categorization. No categorization information is publicly available for Zscaler.

That wouldn't be the case for me, as I don't have any filtering software on either my computer or router.

It was working from my work computer (Chrome on Windows 7, no filter, but definitely a firewall).

As it happens, it's working for me now on Chromium on my home computer (Ubuntu 12.04), but doesn't work on Firefox on the same computer. On Firefox, clicking on the image does nothing. Very strange.
ross.rick wrote:As an aside, the video/audio synchronization (or lack thereof) is pretty distracting...It seemed to happen on all versions of OS/browser I tried.
I don't have that problem at all. Do you have a slow connection, perhaps?
DrJ1234

Post by DrJ1234 »

And now it's not working on Chromium. I think I might know the problem as well. All the Javascript files are being loaded asynchronously. I think that because of this when the script that attaches the click events to the images loads (which uses jQuery to do it), the jQuery file hasn't yet finished loading. If they would take async out of their script tags, that should fix the problem. And since they're loading all their JavaScript at the bottom of the page, loading it synchronously is not a real problem.

Return to “Other Websites”