LDSTech Forum Uses LDS Account

The latest forum news and information
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

iknovate wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I've even copied my existing forum password to the migration utility and it still claims that something is wrong with my TechForum login/password (even though I can log into the forum fine).
I can't say that you're the only one who has problems with this, but it did work fine for me. You mentioned that you copied your existing forum password. Generally you can't copy from password fields, so that might be the problem (you would be pasting whatever happened to be in your clipboard). It might be prudent to copy your forum user name, so that it is accurately entered (and the same for your LDS Account user name), but you'll have to type in your passwords.
iknovate wrote:And (ahem!) there are no feedback loops or other means by which to secure help in the matter either...making the page a 'dead end' for this scenario (cardinal sin of design).
Ahem, the page does say "Contact LDSTech if you have any questions." If you send e-mail to that linked address, I think you will get help.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

So, when?!?!? Is this migration 2 days off, 2 months off, 2 years off? Is there a magical number of mappings of current users that need to be done before the cut-off and switch? With beta.lds.org, familysearch.org, etc... migrating, just curious what the holdup is here? Or is LDSTech on a proverbial tarmac (sp?) waiting 5th in line for a migration behind higher priority web apps? :D
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

Haha, very clever Russell! :)

To answer your question kgthunder, we originally intended this to only take 4 weeks but we've had to stretch it out. We want to get as many people to make this conversion as possible before so as few users as possible get locked out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

McDanielCA wrote:We want to get as many people to make this conversion as possible before so as few users as possible get locked out.
Measured as a percentage of all registered users or as a percentage of users who have logged in in the last x days?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

McDanielCA wrote:We want to get as many people to make this conversion as possible before so as few users as possible get locked out.
RussellHltn wrote:Measured as a percentage of all registered users or as a percentage of users who have logged in in the last x days?
Also can you publish what the conversion percentage is at today? And what the target is?
caillines

Post by caillines »

In order for this to occur we will need to associate your current LDSTech forum username with your LDS Account username.
So when the switch is thrown, will we keep our forum username or will it get swapped to our LDS Acc username?
(I'm talking about what is displayed in profiles, next to posts etc, rather than simply logging in)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Caillin wrote:So when the switch is thrown, will we keep our forum username or will it get swapped to our LDS Acc username? (I'm talking about what is displayed in profiles, next to posts etc, rather than simply logging in)
In a moderator forum (not visible to the public), Cassie said:
McDanielCA wrote:Your forum user name will become your LDS Account user name. So your posts will still be tied to you, just via your LDS Account username.
So that means, for example, that all the posts and other activity here on the forum that currently say "Alan_Brown" (my current forum user name) will soon say "aebrown" (my LDS Account name). I'll login as aebrown with my LDS Account password, and everyone here will come to know me as "aebrown".

That's the way the LDSTech wiki already works -- I login using my LDS Account, but underneath there is an automatic association of that account with a MediaWiki account called "aebrown".
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
atticusewig

Identity Confusion and Security Concerns

Post by atticusewig »

Most LDS Account names I've seen use the limitation/convention
of the NetID before them of having just 8 characters. Perhaps
there won't collisions (two users having the same LDS Account name),
but there is a distinct possibility that the appearance of the names will
be more similar to each other causing confusion about identity.

Also the LDS Account would be exposed on a public-facing forum
which is a slight security risk. Since the posts can be searched by
anyone on the internet without logging in, assigning the LDS Account
names to be the forum usernames gives people wishing to compromise
any site using the LDS Account (which is a growing list) a large list
of valid LDS Account usernames making a password-guessing attack
that much easier.

While it might be a little more complicated, I think the LDS Account
should be used on the Forum solely for authentication, and the
forum name preserved. For security and to a clearly identify the
forum posters.

- Atticus Ewig
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

atticusewig wrote:....Also the LDS Account would be exposed on a public-facing forum which is a slight security risk. Since the posts can be searched by
anyone on the internet without logging in, assigning the LDS Account
names to be the forum usernames gives people wishing to compromise
any site using the LDS Account (which is a growing list) a large list
of valid LDS Account usernames making a password-guessing attack
that much easier.

While it might be a little more complicated, I think the LDS Account
should be used on the Forum solely for authentication, and the
forum name preserved.

- Atticus Ewig
You've made a valid point here in regards to the display of the LDS user names and I would agree that it should be addressed. I'm not as concerned about the commonality of names as I am about the display of the LDS user name itself.

The question as to what the effect on the forum will be when the LDS account is turned on has been brought up several times in different threads and it's one that should be clearly addressed.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Announcements & Policies”