Store hymn books upright w/title showing

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Store hymn books upright w/title showing

Post by sbradshaw »

wrigjef wrote:Good point. I've been told directly that the book holders are designed to hold three books because so many buildings share with a foreign language unit.
One of the buildings I met in a few years ago had hymnbook holders on the back and under each pew. The holders on the back of each pew held the English hymnals, and the holders under each pew held the Spanish hymnals.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wrigjef wrote:I've been told directly that the book holders are designed to hold three books ...
That may depend on how old your building (or at least the pews) are. I'm pretty sure the current hymnals are larger then their predecessors. What could hold 3 of the old ones can now only hold 2 of the green ones.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I was in a meetinghouse Sunday where hymnbooks were upright, two to a slot. If you had laid them on their spine you would only have been able to fit one book in a holder.
rc4allred

Post by rc4allred »

100% agree! Hymnals should be stored flat or upright; not on their spines. A handful of PM groups have little understanding compared with millions of libraries across multiple centuries. I travel to many wards across the United States and internationally. I have only seen this mystifying trend in Utah. It does not prolong book life. Please educate leaders and member to stop it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rc4allred wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:14 am I have only seen this mystifying trend in Utah.
I have also seen it in Ohio, New Jersey, Nevada, Oklahoma, and Texas.
MacNeish

Post by MacNeish »

When recommending to store the hymnals on upright with the face out (so people can see the title) has anyone considered:
1) Everyone knows it is our hymnal

2) More importantly, the rack attached to the back of the pew is flush and angled with the pew, not perpendicular to the floor. Storing the hymnal upright, places an uneven base and (per the attached image) causes the hymnal to sit twisted. I would vote for the old way of lying on the back.
Attachments
20230423_102354.jpg
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Since this original post I had a conversation with church facilities when I visited SL. I was asking about new technology trends but this subject came up. He told me that books should be stored on the bottom short end. I asked about stress and damage his reply was that was the reason that new hymn books can be requested. If units got one case per year and rotated them, everything would always be in good shape. At the time of our discussion facilities would pay for one case per building per year.

Return to “General Discussions”