Home Teaching Reporting on LDS.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
draperg

Re: Home Teaching Reporting on LDS.org

Post by draperg »

A couple of years ago, me and some of my students at BYUH developed an Android app to let ward leaders edit HT/VT assignments visually by sliding icons around a virtual whiteboard.
(See a demo video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvInFpzn1M )

Since there is/was no public API for accessing HT/VT data, the way the app gets its data is from CSV files which the user manually exports from MLS, then copies to the device. Once the HT/VT assignments are edited on the app, the user has to manually key the changes into MLS -- i.e. everything is done offline.

However, with the Church moving HT/VT assignments to lds.org and retiring MLS soon, my app as it is currently implemented cannot continue. This leaves me a few options:

(1) Simply retire the app, and unlist it from Google Play.
(2) Hope the Church releases a public API for accessing HT/VT assignments, and update my app to use it.
(3) Or if the Church prefers to keep the HT/VT API private, I could simply donate my code to the Church and let them develop it either in-house or as an officially sponsored LDSTech project.

So I'm interested in hearing ideas from the LDS Tech community, especially from those who have worked on the LDS Tools app or the new HT/VT module on lds.org. Any advice on where my HT/VT app should go from here?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

draperg wrote:(2) Hope the Church releases a public API for accessing HT/VT assignments, and update my app to use it.
This is not likely. This has been requested for more than eight years and the response has always been negative. You can search the forums for many of the threads on this topic.
draperg wrote:(3) Or if the Church prefers to keep the HT/VT API private, I could simply donate my code to the Church and let them develop it either in-house or as an officially sponsored LDSTech project.
Similar efforts have been offered in the past with negative results. That being said, I do not want to discourage continued efforts that may have some positive results. You should check out the Project Wiki for getting involved in LDSTech projects.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just to add - there is only a small group of church developers. They work under the direction of the Priesthood Department, or in some cases a sponsoring organization. They're continually backlogged and don't have the freedom to pursue cool new things.

I'd see them working on this only if the solution offered happens to show up at the right time to meet the needs and criteria given to them.

As for your options,
  • I don't see option #2 happening.
  • I'd put option #1 and #3 under the general heading of "walk away".
  • The last option, which may not be a great option, is to modify the program to not require an import. Yes, it's a pain to set up. But then, any other method, including a magnetic board, will have the same issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davidc65

Post by davidc65 »

One thing that I think we need from HT/VT in LCR is the ability to export to CSV (as was allowed in MLS), and for the Elders and High Priests to be able to see each other's companionships and assignments. Families often change between the 2 and we have several companionships that are mixed EQ/HPG. My High Priest Group Leader was asking me this weekend to change permissions so he can see the Elder's HTing and was not very happy when I told him all I can do is put people in callings and LCR decides what they can and can't see.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

davidc65 wrote:One thing that I think we need.....for the Elders and High Priests to be able to see each other's companionships and assignments.
The work-around we use is to have my clerk email me the PDF of the LCR 3.0 HT app printout "household assignments: All home teaching." (which I wish listed quorum or group responsibility.) You could go old school and print it out for the quorum and group leadership. I suspect there is also an option to Print (or save the PDF) of the quorum or group assignments separately....

Of course, can't the HPGL or the EQ pres. look under the "households" tab, select a name, and choose "view household profile" to see the HT and VT of anyone in the ward? It should also list some of the visit statistics....Tedious if you need to research more than a few, but great if you just need that one family.

Learning curve caution: Is somebody sure that an EQ president or HP group leader can't see a report of ALL HOME TEACHING for themselves if they were shown how to do it?
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kisaac wrote:Learning curve caution: Is somebody sure that an EQ president or HP group leader can't see a report of ALL HOME TEACHING for themselves if they were shown how to do it?
I've been wondering about this also. I haven't checked with our EQ president to find out what he sees on the "Home & Visiting Teaching" page. I am wondering if there is the "Quorum / Auxiliary :" drop-down list box in the upper right corner that allows him to select the two priesthood organizations as well as Relief Society. If so, then viewing of all HT/VT is possible.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davidc65

Post by davidc65 »

I sat beside our EQ President in Ward Council 2 weeks ago and he did not have the option to toggle between the 3 organizations as I do. I'm not sure about the reports though. Also, our HPG Assistants are both reporting not being able to even get to HTing. Is there a ticketing system to report specific issues to and get specific help on similar to the messaging system in MLS. I would like to have somebody on the admin end be able to helpe troubleshoot with a specific MRN and seeing what I've done wrong. They are not in custom callings and have been set apart.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

davidc65 wrote:Also, our HPG Assistants are both reporting not being able to even get to HTing. Is there a ticketing system to report specific issues to and get specific help on similar to the messaging system in MLS.
Send feedback using the feedback link found at the bottom of the LCR page.
JD Lessley
davidc65

Post by davidc65 »

jdlessley wrote:
davidc65 wrote:Also, our HPG Assistants are both reporting not being able to even get to HTing. Is there a ticketing system to report specific issues to and get specific help on similar to the messaging system in MLS.
Send feedback using the feedback link found at the bottom of the LCR page.
Did that, but that isn't the same as the messaging system in MLS. Giving feedback is not the same as a direct interaction system where somebody helps me troubleshoot a problem and helps me either get to a resolved state or at least acknowledges that there is a bug in the system that will have to resolved in another release.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidc65 wrote:Also, our HPG Assistants are both reporting not being able to even get to HTing.
I'd suggest you sit down with them and see the problem for yourself rather than accept their "report".

Make sure the MRN shown on their account matches the MRN of the member you've put in that position.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”