indexing app - android

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
tuimalungahu

indexing app - android

Post by tuimalungahu »

I cannot seem to find the app for family search indexing for my android under google play, can someone help please?

Tui
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: indexing app - android

Post by aebrown »

tuimalungahu wrote:I cannot seem to find the app for family search indexing for my android under google play, can someone help please?
The FamilySearch mobile indexing beta application became unavailable on 19 December 2012. That's why you can't find it in Google Play (or the iTunes App Store, for iOS users).

See here for details, but the key announcement is "At this point, we feel we have enough beta testers and have decided to restrict the app from further downloading. This change will occur on Wednesday, December 19."
sherrow1

Post by sherrow1 »

The last thing mentioned about this app was a while ago. Where is this app now? I cant find it in the app store or the google play.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sherrow1 wrote:The last thing mentioned about this app was a while ago. Where is this app now? I cant find it in the app store or the google play.
The status has not changed from the information given in the previous post. The app continues to be unavailable (and I sincerely doubt that that old app will ever become available again, although I would imagine that a new mobile indexing app will be developed at some point).
geysser

Re: indexing app -

Post by geysser »

At a minimum, I would like an up-to-date status rather than no correspondence.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: indexing app -

Post by aebrown »

geysser wrote:At a minimum, I would like an up-to-date status rather than no correspondence.
The main Indexing page on FamilySearch.org contains a link to The Future of Indexing. That article explains that "We are specifically targeting traditional desktop and laptop computers as well as tablet devices in both portrait and landscape mode." It also notes that more details will be revealed at RootsTech 2014.
lancechr

Post by lancechr »

Any updates? Is this available and where can I find the app? Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lancechr wrote:Any updates? Is this available and where can I find the app? Thanks!
The latest little update was in an article dated 27 Feb 2014, which said "The new program is still in development and is scheduled for release later this year."

There is nothing more specific than "later this year," but I wouldn't be holding my breath for the new indexing application this early in the year.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The new Indexing system to be released later this year will be web-based, meaning it's accessible from a web browser on any computer, tablet, or (presumably) phone. I don't think it will be a specific app, but rather a web site that you will be able to go to to Index online.
wwickizer

Post by wwickizer »

I see the last discussion regarding "Indexing on line" was in April when the response was "later this year." Does anyone have more current information? It would be nice if our Acer Chromebooks on 4 stations could do indexing. Please respond to Bro. Wickizer at wwickizer@gmail.com

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”