New Profile Field in your User Account

The latest news and information on tech.lds.org.
User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

New Profile Field in your User Account

Postby WelchTC » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:52 pm

We have added a new field in your user profile. This field (at the bottom of the "Edit Your Details" section) is titled Languages Spoken. We would encourage everyone to update this field as it will help us understand what languages we have support for.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

User avatar
dobrichelovek
Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Colorado, USA
Contact:

Language Field

Postby dobrichelovek » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:07 am

This is kind of exciting, knowing that we're at the point where language coverage on the tech website is 'important' to future projects. So I added my language 'Russian' and went to the member list. Noticed that it's not listed on the page, but the search allows search on this new field.

So I searchedfor Russian and it came up with 1. Mine. Let me just say that if there is an interest in Russian, I can solicit some participation from over the arctic. I am currently in touch with some key individuals in the Church that could get involved on this site, however, I would rather not solicit such participation until there is something that could be participated in that is specifically Russian focused.

Please keep this in mind should we get to the point where Russian language input is needed.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:25 am

dobrichelovek wrote:This is kind of exciting, knowing that we're at the point where language coverage on the tech website is 'important' to future projects. So I added my language 'Russian' and went to the member list. Noticed that it's not listed on the page, but the search allows search on this new field.

So I searchedfor Russian and it came up with 1. Mine. Let me just say that if there is an interest in Russian, I can solicit some participation from over the arctic. I am currently in touch with some key individuals in the Church that could get involved on this site, however, I would rather not solicit such participation until there is something that could be participated in that is specifically Russian focused.

Please keep this in mind should we get to the point where Russian language input is needed.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

Tom

User avatar
opee
Member
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:00 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

List languages spoken with your "post" information?

Postby opee » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:52 pm

Is there a way to post the language spoken on the left side of each of our posts--along with the other information that is posted there? Does that make sense? I think that it is easier to people to see it there (with our posts) than to go to each profile and see what languages you speak...

Just a thought.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 am

opee wrote:Is there a way to post the language spoken on the left side of each of our posts--along with the other information that is posted there? Does that make sense? I think that it is easier to people to see it there (with our posts) than to go to each profile and see what languages you speak...

Just a thought.

That is a really good idea. I just checked but could not see a way to do it. Hmmmm

Tom

cboling
New Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:52 am

Postby cboling » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:57 am

Tom's 80x57 avatar would look great with a white "EN" (to indicate "English") in the upper left corner. :-)

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:10 pm

That is assuming that I can speak English but many of you may say that what I speak isn't English. :D

Tom

User avatar
Jesse Smith-p40
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 am
Location: Oregon

Postby Jesse Smith-p40 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:42 pm

tomw wrote:That is a really good idea. I just checked but could not see a way to do it. Hmmmm


Admin --> Styles & Templates --> Style Manager --> Edit Templates --> postbite

Look for something like

<if condition="$post['joindate']"><div>$vbphrase[join_date]: $post[joindate]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['field2']"><div>$vbphrase[location_perm]: $post[field2]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['age']"><div>$vbphrase[age]: $post[age]</div></if>

around line 63 in vBulletin v3.6.4, and add...

<if condition="$post['field6']"><div>Language: $post[field6]</div></if>

to those.
.

User avatar
WelchTC
Senior Member
Posts: 2088
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am
Location: Kaysville, UT, USA
Contact:

Postby WelchTC » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:37 am

Jesse Smith wrote:Admin --> Styles & Templates --> Style Manager --> Edit Templates --> postbite

Look for something like

<if condition="$post['joindate']"><div>$vbphrase[join_date]: $post[joindate]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['field2']"><div>$vbphrase[location_perm]: $post[field2]</div></if>
<if condition="$post['age']"><div>$vbphrase[age]: $post[age]</div></if>

around line 63 in vBulletin v3.6.4, and add...

<if condition="$post['field6']"><div>Language: $post[field6]</div></if>

to those.

Thanks Jessie, does that break updates in the future or do I just need to reapply that patch after each update?

Tom

User avatar
Jesse Smith-p40
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 1:45 am
Location: Oregon

Postby Jesse Smith-p40 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:33 pm

If vBulletin has changes to that template on an upgrade, just re-applying it should do the trick. If you ever have to re-add the LDS Employee image code to the template, you would also add back this code.
.


Return to “Announcements & Policies”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest