Downtime and Forum Migration!

The latest forum news and information
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Downtime and Forum Migration!

Post by jdlessley »

sasgrw wrote:I appreciate the offer but I'm hoping the functionality we had before can be restored.
vBulletin and phpBB are quite uniquely different in many aspects. Expecting functionality to be restored is like asking LibreOffice Writer to be exactly like MS Office Word. The moderators are having to deal with the loss of some significant features we grew accustomed to having. But there are also some features unique to phpBB that are nice to have. One of those is a significantly better search feature.

I am not saying you should stop asking for features. But we must at some point realize that some things are just not going to be possible.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

I used to be able to edit a post I'd made after submitting it. It doesn't appear I can do that now. It would be good if I could. I sometimes read my posts after posting them and realize I need to reword things to clarify them, or someone points out a problem and I correct it. I can't do that now...or at least if I can I haven't figured out how.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:I used to be able to edit a post I'd made after submitting it. It doesn't appear I can do that now. It would be good if I could. I sometimes read my posts after posting them and realize I need to reword things to clarify them, or someone points out a problem and I correct it. I can't do that now...or at least if I can I haven't figured out how.
According to the Church employee who helps manage the Forum: "I updated the permissions to allow users to delete/edit their own posts for up to 1hr from the time of posting" (14 Dec 2012).

Are you trying to do this within one hour, or later than that?
mevans

Post by mevans »

aebrown wrote:According to the Church employee who helps manage the Forum: "I updated the permissions to allow users to delete/edit their own posts for up to 1hr from the time of posting" (14 Dec 2012).

Are you trying to do this within one hour, or later than that?
Thanks for your timely reply within one hour of my post...as I'm reading your reply, I see I can edit my previous post. I wonder why the restriction? On the old system I could edit my posts whenever.

If there's going to be a time restriction, I suggest it be more than an hour (or maybe I need to increase my perfection :) ). Usually I fix things within an hour, but sometimes it comes later, like after someone questions a factual error in a post and I want to correct it so future people reading it don't get confused. Or maybe after I wake up the next day and realize I wrote something incoherent before going to bed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:I wonder why the restriction? On the old system I could edit my posts whenever.
I know that on the old system regular users couldn't delete their posts for very long after the posts were created. I don't recall the details on editing restrictions.

The reason for the restriction is that once a post becomes part of a discussion, edits (and particularly deletions) to posts can make the discussion very confusing. For example, User #1 says "I had experience A" and User #2 responds "That wasn't my experience -- I had experience B" and then User #1 edits his post to say "I had experience B"; User #2's post will then look like he can't read very well.

Clearly these concerns don't apply to some clarifications or fixing obvious typos. But it's often better to make clarifications in a subsequent post, anyway. And for other edits or deletions that you think need to be made, you're welcome to send a private message to any moderator or administrator and if we think the edit is reasonable, we'll be happy to take care of it for you.

Return to “Announcements & Policies”