New LDS.org Search

The latest news and information on tech.lds.org.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

New LDS.org Search

Postby CrockettDR » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:56 pm

For several years LDS.org has used Google technology for its search engine. Google provided a limited product that didn't have the same good relevance as public Google. Complaints have always been seen, "Make it like Google." Well it was Google but couldn't take advantage of all the relevance "signals" that public Google uses. Google recently terminated their Google Appliance offering for all companies forcing the Church to migrate to another search technology. On Dec 27, 2018 we launched the new search engine that uses Microsoft Bing technology. Our tests have shown the relevance is greatly improved over the former Google offering. Complaints have gone way down. Try it out. We are still working with Microsoft to put in more features for us and fix some problems.

For searching the scriptures make sure you still use the on-page search box on www.lds.org/scriptures. That uses a very specialized scriptures search because Google and Bing just can't search the scriptures well.

sbradshaw

Re: New LDS.org Search

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:00 pm

The update fixed my favorite bug... It used to be that if you searched for "I Stand All Amazed," it would show results for "I Stand Tall Amazed" instead. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

kippenn

Re: New LDS.org Search

Postby kippenn » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:06 pm

I have always used public Google to search lds.org and it's sub domains using search operators such as "site:" and "inurl:".

I've never considered using th search the scriptures box. Thanks for pointing this out.

Return to “Announcements & Policies”