Working for the Church

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
SingerGuy

Post by SingerGuy »

In the hall at church is a letter-sized flyer recruiting technology people to come work for the church. I've looked at it many times thinking that it just might be time for me to move back to Utah (where all my family is) and try to get a church IT job. I'm a Generalist. For the first four years I worked for my current employer I was the only IT person in the company, with more than 150 users and 11 servers. (Luckily I now have two assistants.)

I'm worried about trying to get hired at the church because I have been so busy actually doing the work that I haven't slowed down enough to take a class, pass a test, and add some letters behind my name. I'm still of the mindset that all too often MCSE means Must Consult Someone with Experience .:)

I've forgotten more operating systems than kids fresh out of school today have probably even heard of (AmigaDOS, anyone?)

So how do I get past the hurdle of not having a sparkling fresh diploma with wet ink in the latest buzz-word technology to be able to demonstrate what 25 years of experience and surviving in the constant change of IT can offer the church? I feel I have a lot to give, and feel a tug inside that this is what I'm supposed to do.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'm not an HR representative but I'll weigh in some thoughts here:

First off, in order to be fiscally responsible, the Church has to hire those with the skill sets it needs. So, if we are looking for Java developers, as an example, we would not necessarily be hiring C++ programmers. We would need to hire Java programmers. So the best bet is to look through job listings to find jobs that match your existing skill sets.

Another way to get involved is to be involved with these forums. We currently have need in helping to test a new version of the online scriptures. Those who get involved with us on these forums and help us when needed will have more familiarity with those at the Church and therefor allow us to see your skills and expertise.

Tom
billynash-p40

Post by billynash-p40 »

I have had the strong desire to work for the Church since I was on my mission. Over the 10 years since I've been back the impression keeps coming back. I feel discouraged when I see so many more qualified people applying and not getting the job when I have little to no experience. I want to finish my education (thinking IT). Is there another field I should consider? The other problem is I have 4 children and my wife and I. Would I be able to earn enough straight out of school to provide for our needs? I've been in my own construction company for nearly 7 years now. Very good with computers and technology. Any help or advice is most appreciated. I'm thinking that I'm probably about 4-5 years down the road.
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

billynash, I'm glad you're interested in working for the Church. At this point in time, the Church is in a hiring freeze. Which means that there are few jobs available, right now. But, the Church, like most organizations, hires people with all kinds of expertise. Which areas of expertise that are in demand fluctuate over time.

I would personally recommend deciding what kind of education you need based on what you are good at, what area you want to work in, and through prayer.

To see what areas of expertise are in demand at the Church, specifically, you might want to watch the Church jobs site (jobs.lds.org) to see what areas are in the most demand!

I think most people on this site would endorse IT as a good area to go into :)
geek

Must be in SLC?

Post by geek »

It seems today that most IT positions *must* be located in SLC. However, I haven't found any real reason why someone couldn't work from a remote location anywhere in the US and travel to SLC once a quarter.

Any hope for remote IT work in the future?
Former membership clerk under 3 bishops, now on 2nd stint as executive secretary. Can I go back to teaching priesthood now?
McDanielCA

Post by McDanielCA »

That's a reasonable question, but I can't give any kind of official response. I've heard it discussed but there has been no official statement on the matter. As technology advances I suspect telecommuting will become more viable for the Church.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

I can't say I've heard a lot of rumors, but I have come to conclusions based on my own personal opinions and the experiences of others who have worked for BYU or the LDS Church. Feel free to refute them if you know better... :)

Reasons to not work for the church:

a) Their conservative strategy would drive me bonkers. I like a highly experimental work environment where a business takes risks in new technology, values out-of-box thinking, and will try stuff until something works. The church rarely does anything without fully proving it out.

b) I am not comfortable with having my livelihood tied to my temple worthiness. Serving in local units, you see how a few bad choices can devastate a life or a family. It would just make that personal crisis exponentially worse, knowing that you would also lose your livelihood over it.

c) I really value a flexible, casual workplace which allows (and encourages) remote work. Somehow I just don't picture the church as supporting either of those 3 adjectives.

d) One great thing about going to work is being able to associate with people not of your faith. Working for the church would encourage more insularity in my own culture and beliefs and not allow them to be challenged and tested by others.

So.. rather than sounding so anti.. I'll turn these around to say what the church would have to demonstrate to entice me to ever apply:

a) it's a cool place to work where you get to work with cutting edge technology, have a real hand in the success of products, and try new things (whether they make it to production or not)

b) they recognize we are all real people, not coding drones, with passions and joys as well as heartaches and disappointments. and that they are committed to standing with me in good times and bad.

c) they support working flex-time or remotely from my home when work-life balance dictates.

d) they support diversity in the workplace: women and minorities are strongly represented and respected just as much as the old white guys. at minimum there is some kind of inter-faith outreach program where we can still comingle with people of other faiths, or perhaps even employ a few people who aren't members - good people exist both in and out of the church.

But even if it's not for me...

I'm really encouraged by those mid-late career folks who are feeling a tug toward church employment. The Church should create a program for such workers. I say this because the goals of working for the Church are so different than working for a Corporation. Working for a corp you are focused on stock price, selling stuff, and moving it quickly and efficiently. While this can be exciting for a time, I see many of my older coworkers (with plenty of mileage left to go in their careers) tiring of it and looking for alternatives that are not only good for the bottom line, but good for the world. While corporations value seasoned, wise workers less and less, I would imagine the church would enjoy the wisdom and stability they might bring.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

WhiteEyebrows wrote:a) Their conservative strategy would drive me bonkers.

. . . the goals of working for the Church are so different than working for a Corporation.
Part of deciding to work for any organization is determining if the corporate culture is one to my liking. There is no question that working for the Church, especially at Church Headquarters, would involve a very different culture than any other organization where I have worked. This is to be expected, since the objective of the Church is entirely different from any other organization where I have worked.

I think you might be surprised, though, that the Church environment actually would include many of the things you say would entice you to apply. Again, though, each individual has to decide if most of the list is sufficient, or if it has to be an all or nothing deal to provide enough job satisfaction.

Ah, the opportunities and decisions. But I do think you are correct that conservative is a major part of the culture. Alas, your honest self-assessment would lead me to agree that you would probably be driven bonkers. [grin]
brado426

Post by brado426 »

The impression I get is that it takes an extremely patient person to work for the Church. In working (or should I say, attenpting to work) for the Church, I found that I do not possess the attribute of extreme patience, which was necessary to successfully accomplish anything. I ended up just getting frustrated and irritated from the experience and wished I never made the attempt in the first place.

We had a great EQ lesson last week on patience. One thing that really jumped out at me was that the lack of patience is a sign of selfishness.
I still do not possess that level of patience needed and I admit that I doubt whether I will progress to the necessary level in my lifetime. This is my own failure and weakness, but I am grateful that there are people who can exercise the level of patience needed to work with the Church to get the work done.

That being said, I am not ashamed that I do not possess this capability. We were each given gifts to do great things. Some have been given the gift of patience, which is a trait that I am satsified aspiring to.

Brad O.
eruemulorwilliamsnwudu

Post by eruemulorwilliamsnwudu »

I have heard the same thing else where about working for the church.
One interesting thing i see about working for the the church is that,it gives me protection from the world at large. And it also help me to be more closer to my Heavenly Father. I wish I'm working for the Church!

Return to “Technical Recruiting”