Degree/No Degree

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
Vince-p40

Post by Vince-p40 »

Hi dobarr,

I got the exact same impression when I viewed the job list on the website, to the point that I felt I should not even bother to apply. The only criteria I felt I had covered were having a current Temple Recommend.
Regards
Vince.
sammythesm

Post by sammythesm »

They say that a bachelor's is the new high school diploma... and it's true. My company (fortune 100) does not consider candidates who have not finished a bachelor's degree. Employers are in a 'buyers market' and can be very discriminating as to who they hire and what qualifications they have - so you shouldn't be too surprised when non-degreed individuals are passed up for degreed ones.

I would suggest to people who have MBA level experience to apply to an executive MBA program (even if you dont' have a bachelor's degree). I know people who have done this and it has helped to justify their positions and given them more room to grow in their careers. I also can recommend BYU's independent study courses, which can allow you to get your bachelors in general studies. It's very easy to do - just costs time and money.

We all should follow President Hinckley's constant advice to "get as much education as you can." He stated it over and over again. It's never too late to start.
iansebryk

Re: Degree/No Degree

Post by iansebryk »

having worked with the church for many years, i cannot fathom why anyone would want to work for the Church. worse than any large company i've ever worked for, the Church places virtually NO value on experience. much better to work for a company that values skills and ability over a marginally useful piece of paper. plus they'd actually pay you what you're worth. which is a shame because the Church needs exactly the kind of help they are shunning.

Return to “Technical Recruiting”