Tools for Generating Forms

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
blamoreaux

Tools for Generating Forms

Post by blamoreaux »

I am creating a signup sheet to clean the building. I wanted to match the look and feel of other Church forms. Is there already a form for this, if not, what tools are used to design the forms?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Welcome to the forum! You probably want a blank form, so I know of none. It may depend on if it's the "assignment" or "volunteer" method you will use. Some other ideas:

Custom reports would help if you needed to populate your sign-up with names, which could help tracking and ensure the duty is spread equally. For example, you could make a listing of all elders, where they could write which date they would do the cleaning next to their name. I've seen this done for some weekly tasks before.[INDENT]"Elders, each of us are taking a week to empty the garbages this next year...please sign up for a week and put the date next to your name..."
[/INDENT]This gives each elder a different feel than looking at a blank sign-up list. This also helps if the list is re-circulated for sign-ups as the year progresses if dates are already next to names, and may encourage those who haven't had the opportunity yet to notice that it may be "their turn."

The second way you might use this is to have a rotating "tracking" list. As each member is "called" to help, their name is crossed off the list by the quorum secretary and a date written by the date they helped.[INDENT]"Elders, each of us are taking a week to empty the garbages this next year...This weeks assignment is (first un-crossed out name.) Once you help, we cross your name off and call the next name that isn't yet crossed off. Once we are all crossed off, we start at the top again."
[/INDENT]I've seen this type of "assignment list" used to ensure everyone gets the "moving assistance" opportunity, and our exec secretary uses this type of list for sacrament prayer "opportunities." Both of these types of lists could be made in Custom Reports, or even more simply by printing out an organizational roll or ward list.

If you're really into tracking this type of stuff, you could take it to the next level and make a custom field in MLS to track those that help by continually updating it, and then create a custom form for your print-out. We do this for the ward "talk tracking" lists.

good luck.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Sorry, It just occurred to me. If you are asking about software, my above comment deals only with MLS options. You know you can use OpenOffice (free wordprocessing, spreadsheet, presentation and design "office" suite) for your forms design if that is what you need.

Return to “Development Help Wanted”