Need Help with PHP Program for Church

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
WelchTC

New Source Code and New Project Tools

Post by WelchTC »

I've posted the source code the the start of this project. In addition, I've added to this site a new feature called "Projects". It will allow us to track projects that we have you work on for the Church. Each of you once you log in should see a "Projects" link next to the "User CP" link in the banner bar towards the top of the page. Clicking on this "projects" link will allow you to see the various projects we have being worked on. In addition, we have the ability to add a link to a specific project within the forum list itself. I've added the "Ask a Question" project after the "Developer Help Wanted" forum topic.

Let me know your thoughts and input on this new feature.

Tom
WelchTC

I added new tasks to this project

Post by WelchTC »

View the project link to see the new tasks. I've gotten the initial project started. Here is what is done.
  • DB wrappers completed
  • The initial screen loads the questions based upon the filters at the top of the screen that are set.
  • The importing of new questions works.
I need volunteers to work on the new tasks. If you want to help out, please let me know.

In order to work on this project, you need the following:
  • Fill out the Individual Contributors License Agreement. This will get you access to the source code.
  • Set up your own development environment. I currently do not have a developer sandbox for this application. This is a PHP application with MySQL as the DB. You should be able to develop on either Windows or Linux. I use Linux and my developer platform consists of MySQL, Apache 2.0 on my local box. You can use any editor you want to edit the code. I personally use for my php work the Zend Developer Studio but it is certainly not needed.
  • Notify me of which task you want to tackle. I'll assign you to the work in the PM tool and then you can report on the status as you go.
Tom
KathrynGZ

Status?

Post by KathrynGZ »

Just curious--what is the status on this project?

Kathryn
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

The status is that this program, thanks to those who helped, is currently being used. I may have more features I want to add to it and will post here when I am ready with the features list.

Thanks for asking.

Tom
AdrianLP-p40

Post by AdrianLP-p40 »

tomw wrote:PHP4 is what I was planning on. I know PHP5 has a lot of ...
The complete and utter lack of class-based data hiding doesn't scare you? :)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

AdrianLP wrote:The complete and utter lack of class-based data hiding doesn't scare you? :)
You can abstract the data using functions, although not as easily as using classes, it is basically the same. But for this application, there is extremely limited access to the app (like 2 or 3 people, myself being one) so I'm not really concerned about it for this program. BTW, the program is running fine.

Tom
Paul Hepworth-p40

Sorry I missed the action... good job!

Post by Paul Hepworth-p40 »

For some reason I no longer received notifications of replies to the thread... oh well. :)

Sorry I missed the action... good job for getting the project done.

For some reason I thought that the project was abandoned and was still waiting for legal and other issues to be addresses.

After all this time I came around again to see what ever happened and was pleasantly surprised that the project had been delivered. Good job!

I hope there will be more opportunities to help.
TeachJava-p40

Post by TeachJava-p40 »

tomw wrote:For all those who know how to program in PHP and MySQL, I need your help. I need a special program written that would be used by us at the Church in conjunction with this technology Web site. If you would like to help, please download and read the following project specifications. I would love to have any feedback from people. Even if you don't have the time or skill set to help, please let me know what you think.
Have you thought about using something like JBoss jBPM?

MikeD
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

TeachJava wrote:Have you thought about using something like JBoss jBPM?

MikeD
The project is currently finished and in use from what I understand.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

However we do have the HT/VT application mentioned in our Wiki that is built on java.

Tom

Return to “Development Help Wanted”