Open source Java project

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

While thinking about this project I have thrown around the idea of creating an online tool for tracking food storage. I found a site: http://www.trackmyfoodstorage.com that seems to do this fairly nicely. They have a free and premium aspect to them. I'm thinking of writing an open source php/mySQL tool to integrate with e107 or PGV or ??? that would incorporate some of the same type of features.

HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HaleDN »

nimebe wrote:I'm thinking of writing an open source php/mySQL tool to integrate with e107 or PGV or ??? that would incorporate some of the same type of features.
I'm a little confused as to what you are referring to. PGV = PhpGedView, right? How do genealogy features relate to food storage? What is e107?

By the way, nice PGV web site (in your signature).
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

e107 is an open source CMS much like Joomla or phpNuke. My initial thought was to let either PGV or e107 handle the authentication and security.

I don't think I would want to go that route though. I see the administration as such a project as being unwarranted. What I would like to see is the creation of a site that will fill the needs discussed on this thread in the short-term, then when this community is ready to tackle the Java app we combine the two. We could allow the java app to download/update the online database. That way, we'd have the functionality of a desktop system with the convenience of a web based system.

I've started on a site but it doesn't have any functionality yet other then the user registration system. Let me know if you're interested, have ideas on how to do this, or if you think I'm just wasting my time.

HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HaleDN »

If we use the Java Stack, acegi is already integrated for security. It is much more flexible to go this route than to tie the whole project to the user authentication using a completely different app like e107 or PGV... though this doesn't prevent you from integrating the two authentication methods, if you wish, on your site.

I assume that this would be handled with Spring, though I haven't ever tried to integrate a java app and a php app in this way. Does anyone know how this would work?
Austech-p40

Post by Austech-p40 »

Hi Guys,
I am the developer and owner of www.trackmyfoodstorage.com. I found your thread by tracng a couple of the referrer links that were logged on my server. The tech.lds.org site is a great idea and I am thrilled to see there are others that are thinking of providing solutions to assist the members of the church in being better prepared. 2 years ago I had some of the same ideas and ever since I have attempted to accomplish them through http://www.trackmyfoodstorage.com. Good luck with your project and let me know if I can help in anyway......And thanks again for bringing the tech.lds site to my attention.
WelchTC

The Java Stack

Post by WelchTC »

It has been decided that we won't be releasing the java stack to the community at the present time. However, this should not dampen the communities enthusiasum for this or any other project as there are a lot of frameworks and stacks available and it sounds like many of you are interested in PHP or other technologies anyway.

Tom
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

haledn,

It's not so much a matter of integrating java and php as it is integrating java and mySQL. I think the way to look at it is two interfaces for the same DB. The Java would have a couple of options. It could either access the mySQL database on a per call basis, that is, query the DB everytime new information is needed. A better solution would be to have the Java app download and store the data locally, use it, manipulate it, then save it back upstream to the mySQL DB.

PGV has a feature similar to this. It's called GDBI. GDBI is Java and uses the first method I describe.

Austech,
You've put together a great site! Good luck in the future.

nbflint

Post by nbflint »

Tomw,

I'm also very interested in Java, but I've never been able to get my head to wrap around it properly! I'm hoping that I'll be able to jump onto a Java project from this community to get some exposure.

WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

nimebe wrote:Tomw,

I'm also very interested in Java, but I've never been able to get my head to wrap around it properly! I'm hoping that I'll be able to jump onto a Java project from this community to get some exposure.
There are two projects that you can get involved with today. The first is an Emergency Preparedness program and you can read about it [thread=306]here[/thread]. The 2nd is a Ward Mission Program and you can read about it [thread=241]here[/thread]. If you want to get involved, grab the source code, start looking through the code, ask questions and when you feel comfortable, ask what you can do to improve the product or if you have some ideas, go for it.

Tom
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

nimebe wrote:Tomw,

There is another threadyou might be interested in. It is a community development project being started by forum members to assist in studying the scriptures. It doesn't look like they have decided on a technology but it might be Java. It would be great to have you participate.

Return to “Development Help Wanted”