Help needed with PHP

When the Church has need of help from the technology community, we will post that need in this forum.
cannona-p40

Help needed with PHP

Post by cannona-p40 »

Hi all.

Many of you may have noticed the new forum which was recently created called "Accessibility to Church Technology Products". This forum will be for the discussion of the accessibility of Church technologies to persons with disabilities. Unfortunately, in an ironic twist, this forum requires the completion of a captcha in order to register. As you might imagine, this is a problem for people who are blind, and others. So, as a partial work-around, we need someone to write a plugin for the forum that will allow us to offer an audio captcha.

I've already got some notes on how to generate an audio captcha, but the working code is in python. Still, it's not technically very difficult. Just load some audio files into memory, mix some random noise in and send it to the user. The trick is writing it in PHP and intigrating it with the VBulletin system.

Also, don't let the idea of mixing audio scare you off. It's really not that difficult, and again, I have some notes on how to do it.

Interested?

Aaron
aebrown
Community Administrator

New Forum: Accessibility to Church Technology Products

Post by aebrown »

cannona wrote:Many of you may have noticed the new forum which was recently created called "Accessibility to Church Technology Products".
Actually, I missed it, since it has no posts yet, and so it doesn't show up in the New Posts list. To save others the hunt, follow this link, and the breadcrumbs will show you how it fits in the forum structure.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

cannona wrote: Also, don't let the idea of mixing audio scare you off. It's really not that difficult, and again, I have some notes on how to do it.

Interested?

Aaron
Yes I do, but I don't know very well what is VBulletin system. So I need to learn some about it.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
PhillipsCJ

Accessible Captcha

Post by PhillipsCJ »

Aaron,
Here is a post that may be relevant:
http://blog.blindaccessjournal.com/2007 ... ptcha.html

Here is a direct link to the plugin:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151824
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

mactoph wrote:Aaron,
Here is a post that may be relevant:
http://blog.blindaccessjournal.com/2007 ... ptcha.html

Here is a direct link to the plugin:
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151824
This may work. What do you think Tom? It appears to be a perfect solution from my perspective.

Aaron
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cannona wrote:Unfortunately, in an ironic twist, this forum requires the completion of a captcha in order to register. As you might imagine, this is a problem for people who are blind, and others.
Yes, It's been pointed out to me that the "Contact Us" also contains a captcha as well as new Family Search registration.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

cannona wrote:This may work. What do you think Tom? It appears to be a perfect solution from my perspective.

Aaron
I need to see if this plugin requires outbound Internet access. Since the concept behind recaptcha is to grab bits of undigitized books, I assume it has to connect to a server to do that. Currently our infrastructure does not allow the server to make outbound calls. However I can test it on my test environment.

The other bit of good news is the talk of version 3.7 of vBulletin solving this problem.

I'll test and report back.

Tom
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

tomw wrote:I need to see if this plugin requires outbound Internet access. Since the concept behind recaptcha is to grab bits of undigitized books, I assume it has to connect to a server to do that. Currently our infrastructure does not allow the server to make outbound calls. However I can test it on my test environment.

The other bit of good news is the talk of version 3.7 of vBulletin solving this problem.

I'll test and report back.

Tom
I believe that you are right, and that it would require an outbound connection from the server.

Any idea on when you might upgrade to 3.7? I know they have released 3.7 RC1 at this time, so it should be pretty stable, but I don't know what the policies are on using pre-release software.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Aaron
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

cannona wrote:I believe that you are right, and that it would require an outbound connection from the server.

Any idea on when you might upgrade to 3.7? I know they have released 3.7 RC1 at this time, so it should be pretty stable, but I don't know what the policies are on using pre-release software.

Thanks a lot for your help with this.

Aaron
I'll check into it.

Tom

Return to “Development Help Wanted”