Newsletter: June 2010

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
McDanielCA

Newsletter: June 2010

Post by McDanielCA »

LDSTech Forum Will be Converting to LDS Account for Authentication SOON!

URGENT: If you are a member of the LDSTech Forum and would like continued access to post, you must use the LDSTech Forum Account Migration tool to link your LDSTech Forum Account to your LDS Account.

Learn more about the conversion.

<hr width="100%"> New Mobile Apps Available

We are proud to announce the release of the official Mormon Channel and Gospel Library applications on a variety of devices from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Previously, the Mormon Channel has been available for iPhone and webOS (Palm) devices, and the Gospel Library has been available for the iPhone.These applications have been received with enthusiasm and a hunger for more applications on more devices. In conjunction with community developers, we have been working hard to meet this demand.
Today the following applications are available:
NOTE: Search the Palm App Catalog and the Android Market to download the webOS and Android apps.

In addition, the new Mobile Applications site (part of beta.lds.org) was recently launched. It is designed to be your destination for all things mobile from the Church. Every official mobile application released by the Church will be listed on this page. Beta.lds.org is the next generation of LDS.org.

<hr width="100%"> LDSTech Developers Conference 2011

When would you like the next LDSTech Developers Conference to be held?

Take our LDSTech Forum poll and let us know.

<hr width="100%"> From the Archives

Front-End Development: The Emerging Role
by Mark Soderquist

Communicating through the Member and Leader Services (MLS) application presents many challenges for software engineers at Church headquarters. The Church has more than 28,000 units (wards, branches, stakes, districts and missions) scattered all over the world on every continent and in many remote locations. Unit leaders use MLS to send membership, finance, and other support information to Church headquarters. One of the greatest challenges is supporting the amount of information from Church units, and doing it in a way that can be maintained efficiently.

Communication and electrical infrastructure varies widely around the world from nothing at all, including no electricity, to broadband Internet connections with stable electrical systems. In most units MLS uses modem connections since telephone lines are available in the majority of Church locations around the world. Recently MLS has been able to take advantage of broadband Internet connections in some stakes. In some of the most remote locations, MLS can take advantage of satellite broadband Internet connections. Currently, 92 percent of Church units use MLS. However, only one-third of Church units that use MLS have broadband connections. In all cases, the Church attempts to use the most cost-effective means of communication to spend tithing dollars as wisely as possible.

Read full article.

<hr width="100%"> Community Spotlight

This month we will spotlight Cassie McDaniel, a member of the team that works on the LDSTech site and on the community projects.

LDSTech: What is your role at the Church?

Cassie: I am part of a newly-formed group called Emerging Technologies. I work with the content on LDSTech and its social media counterparts like Twitter and Facebook. I look for and collaborate with employees on articles and other content for the site. I also help organize events, like the LDSTech Developers Conference held in April and tech talks.

LDSTech: What is your educational background?

Cassie: I graduated from Utah State University with a bachelor degree in human resource management. Although I'm not a programmer I have always had an interest in technology. My dad always had a computer in our house, even when it was uncommon and all that was practical for me to use it for was typing. He helped me write a program in Visual Basic to do some basic math functions, like rounding. I love all of the possibilities that technology provides and like to look for new ways to use it.

LDSTech: How do you feel about working with the LDSTech site?

Cassie: It is a great experience. It's special in a way that no other job could match. I am struck every day by how incredible the volunteer force and how much potential it has. Everyone who visits the site desires to serve in some way. Some people help others that have questions, some sacrifice their time to work on community projects, some provide feedback, and still more are searching for a way to lend their talents to the cause. It is inspiring and humbling.

LDSTech: What role do you think the LDSTech community plays in the Church organization?

Cassie: I believe our LDSTech community is an extension of the even larger volunteer force that our lay Church is composed of. People all over the world serve one another any way they can and, in turn, help spread the gospel throughout the world. The LDSTech community is using technology to achieve the same thing. As the Church strives to reach more people throughout the world, technology is becoming an increasingly effective tool. LDSTech community members are on the forefront of the effort and will continue to lead the way for others. They will continue to step forward and innovate on projects that the Church believes will enrich the lives of people everywhere. We will come to rely on them more and more as the workforce better incorporates volunteers.

LDSTech: How do you think the community is different at the Church?

Cassie: The community at the Church is different simply because of the faith behind the work. They are technology pioneers. There's no motivating factor that is better than faith.

LDSTech: Who or what has been an inspiration to you in your work?

Cassie: The tenacity of the LDSTech community volunteer members. They continually go above and beyond simply because they desire to help and often times without clear guidance. They just jump in and get their hands dirty.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”