The Feel of Quality Online

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
pantherjad-p40

Efficient coding a part of quality?

Post by pantherjad-p40 »

There are certainly operations and parts of a website that could be coded innefficiently vs more efficiently. Does creating an operation in as few lines as possible create quality? What about programming language? Does the choice of programming language create a sense of quality? I think quality is the function of thoughtfulness put into the website. Intuitive operations, slim data or memory requirements, etc. I am all about maximization, get the most out of the least. If a website rarely loads quickly or correctly or takes a long time or requires lots of add-ons that reduces quality points unless the result is more than worth it.
jfrey-p40

Great article

Post by jfrey-p40 »

I liked the article. The only problem is that more and more customers are wanting CHEAP not QUALITY. It drives me nuts because I want to spend a lot more time on projects than I'm able to because the customer doesn't want to spend the extra money. The infamous words "I'm on a budget" are more common now than ever.

@mkmurray - I agree. It sounds like the author was referring to choosing a new username and password and not logging in.

@Mikerowaved - I just watched a little bit of wargames last night. I love that movie. I always thought it was odd how wopr could brute force the launch codes incrementally like that. But just like any movie they have to make it so that the average person can understand it and be entertained. Remember the movie hackers with all the graphical computer code and whatnot? Plain code scrolling on a terminal would have been accurate but super boring.

@RussellHltn - Google is probably the most popular of the sites that check your password strength.
dlongmore

My 2 cents

Post by dlongmore »

If you have any artist friends then you may have heard them express the following idea about art. "Color gets all the credit while value does all the work". The collary to this in software systems, is "the look and feel of the interface gets all the credit while design and discipline does all the work". Repeating your own words "... Who cares what great achievements the designers and engineers of the car made? When you find a car that drives well, the mechanical details are not important. ...." Much of the quality comes from having engineers who practice sound design principles and are unwilling to take shortcuts in the process. The best engineers know that anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”