Goals for 2007

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree?

I'm neutral
84%
I'm neutral
3%
I'm neutral
13%

Total votes: 31

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Did we get any progress on this? I would think that a link to the tech site would be perfect right under FamliySearch with our subtitle being technology and our picture being a robot... well maybe a computer.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:Did we get any progress on this? I would think that a link to the tech site would be perfect right under FamliySearch with our subtitle being technology and our picture being a robot... well maybe a computer.
I've not succeeded in getting a link on there yet but I'll keep trying.

Tom
kgcrowther-p40

building collective intellegence through Wiki s

Post by kgcrowther-p40 »

tomw wrote:WHat other ideas do people have that would allow us to get involved and build community?

Has anyone read the book Infotopia: How many minds produce knowledge (Sunstein, C.R., 2006, Oxford Press). Sunstein describes in detail several concepts of group deliberation that can result in collective knowledge. One concept described are online wikis. Blogs and forums are considered inferior to Wiki's for purposes of group dileration, because long lists of ideas with constant variation and temporal repition can converge into structure that produces knowledge. With Wiki's there is a collective result that people work together on until it converges (of course there are risks of converging incorrectly when there is the improper collection of individuals).

I would recomend that when there are great concepts that desire progress (such as the ward maps, ward mission program, or the online hometeaching record...) then a online wiki may be a better concept for deliberation and convergance of information. It would be a great forum to collect minds for the creation, formalization, prioritization, and analysis of requirements and operational concepts. People can then feel a sense of progression that results in collective intellegence.

--Kenneth
Charlottesville, VA
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I like to second that idea. It would be a better organizer for the current projects that are in developement right now. And as mentioned previously is organizes data better the forum chat.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

thedqs wrote:I like to second that idea. It would be a better organizer for the current projects that are in developement right now. And as mentioned previously is organizes data better the forum chat.
I agree. I'm working on getting approval for a wiki.

Tom
Jesse Smith-p40

Post by Jesse Smith-p40 »

With 'beta' now out of the site name, now might be a good time to try to get a news story in the Church News about the site, just like they've done a bunch of stories about family search indexing, and trying to get a link here from lds.org and any other church site.
oscarschultz

Post by oscarschultz »

Since it is now 2008 what was your evaluation of your 2007 goals?
Did you succeed in all your goals? Did you exceed the goal, just get it done, maybe need more work, or was a goal a complete waste of time?
What did you learn from working on your 2007 goals?
What would you do differently? What would you do the same?
Were the goals you set for 2007 too easy, too hard or just about right?
Did you evaluate enough during 2007 so the evaluations of your progress were a positive experience?
What are your goals for 2008?
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

oscar wrote:Since it is now 2008 what was your evaluation of your 2007 goals?
Did you succeed in all your goals? Did you exceed the goal, just get it done, maybe need more work, or was a goal a complete waste of time?
What did you learn from working on your 2007 goals?
What would you do differently? What would you do the same?
Were the goals you set for 2007 too easy, too hard or just about right?
Did you evaluate enough during 2007 so the evaluations of your progress were a positive experience?
What are your goals for 2008?
Great questions.

First off, we did not hit our goals for registered users. We were well short. But, non-the-less I am very encouraged by the number of users we do have and how active the users are.

Over the year the thing that we have learned and what has surprised us is that other departments of the Church are either using our forums or are looking to utilize our forums. So, our goals this year are more about educating and evangelizing the tech site within the Church for awareness. The thinking is that the more departments within the Church turn to this site for help, the more people we can get involved in helping the Church.

Tom

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”