Goals for 2007

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree?

I'm neutral
84%
I'm neutral
3%
I'm neutral
13%

Total votes: 31

KathrynGZ

Matching Skills with Opportunities

Post by KathrynGZ »

thedqs wrote:
Originally Posted by RussellHltn
I think my best suggestion is to register one's skills so one can be notified if a post is made that's asking or discussing those things.

One thing that would be nice is a little dropdown box where people can select one or two topics that their question deals. Then those that have selected those skills would receive an email (if they wanted to).
Agreed. In fact, I got an email a few months back about a BYU Alumni job placement site (http://byualumni.applicantsearch.com/pages/studenthome). It's pretty impressive. Users can complete a detailed survey about their skills and experience, and the information is used to match users with potential jobs. Perhaps something similar (probably scaled-down) would work on this board. Users complete a survey to indicate their skills, those seeking help tag their posts with appropriate skills, and the system emails users who match.

Kathryn
KathrynGZ

Matching skills with opportunities

Post by KathrynGZ »

What about including an optional skills section on the user profile? I don't know what capabilities vBulletin has, but perhaps it would allow a PM or email to be sent to all users with the specific skills needed for a given project. Just a thought...

Kathryn
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Kathryn wrote:What about including an optional skills section on the user profile? I don't know what capabilities vBulletin has, but perhaps it would allow a PM or email to be sent to all users with the specific skills needed for a given project. Just a thought...

Kathryn
This is an excellent suggestion and one we are already working on implementing.

Tom
charly3358-p40

Post by charly3358-p40 »

tomw wrote:The number is not as important is the trend. We need more people to frequent this site so that when there is work to do, there are more people that may have the skill set that can get involved. There has be a few posts on these forums where we have asked for help but have been left unanswered. Not because we don't have willing people, but more because those who have the skills we need and the willingness to help may not know about this web site.

Tom

My 2c worth: I joined one night after googling for pro LDS blogs/forums, posted once then didn't come back. That was until I got an email from that infamous user named "turing". Since then, I return and actually log on each time and read through some threads. But there are so many and it all appears slightly disorganized to me. But if "turing" sent out an email, standard one at that, then surely the forum could email all members when help is needed and that includes help to look for new members, especially among FH & ward clerks. Also email would work for the inactive members including those who aren't aware that if they don't log on they won't be counted. It worked with me bringing me back here (and not to turings site!).

By the way how's that 1st goal going? The numbers seemed high to me; I doubt that membership would grow exponentially, but I don't know and haven't seen actual numbers anywhere. Goals setting is critical in everything we do; I'd just suggest that those numbers are very high, for me at least.
But that 2nd one is excellent - especially if you do it online as suggested there. It could include most members and one day the majority of members will live outside Utah like almost everything LDS nowdays. And techs tend to prefer online meetings anyway.

PS I suppose that survey ended? I get the 3 answer options but not the actual question when I log on (but obviously its asking about the goals?)
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

Is there a page or can one be created to see the ongoing statistics for this site - at least updated on a monthly basis?
charly3358-p40

Post by charly3358-p40 »

I got my mother to join up here, since she's into geneology, but she had problems registering due to being colour blind. She couldn't see all the letters in Image Verification Box!!!

I'd like to suggesting that a standard black & white box might be better for those elderly who have vision problems or colour blind persons. (But only a suggestion)
charly3358-p40

Post by charly3358-p40 »

I got my mother to join up here, since she's into geneology, but she had problems registering due to being colour blind. She couldn't see all the letters in Image Verification Box!!!

I'd like to suggest that a standard black & white box might be better for those elderly who have vision problems & for colour blind persons. (But only a suggestion)
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I'll see if there are options within the software to help out.

Tom
Jesse Smith-p40

Post by Jesse Smith-p40 »

tomw wrote:Goal #1: 10,000 Registered Users
Are there any links here on the main lds.org site? I found the boards by using Google and took out beta.tech from the URL just to make sure I was really seeing an official church forum!

If a link was added on the main lds.org site, it wouldn't take long at all to get 10,000 registered users. A little article in the Church News might be another idea.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

Jesse Smith wrote:Are there any links here on the main lds.org site? I found the boards by using Google and took out beta.tech from the URL just to make sure I was really seeing an official church forum!

If a link was added on the main lds.org site, it wouldn't take long at all to get 10,000 registered users. A little article in the Church News might be another idea.
Thanks Jesse. I agree with your suggestions and will work towards that end.

tom

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”