Goals for 2007

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree?

I'm neutral
84%
I'm neutral
3%
I'm neutral
13%

Total votes: 31

jeffszone

Post by jeffszone »

bhofmann wrote:Why don't you send a message to every email address you have for registered members of the ward and stake web sites?
Because our stake no longer attempts use of that feature. A very small percentage of the members ever bothered to register in the first place, and of those that did, a very high percentage of them have invalid or obsolete e-mail addresses registered. We've tried everything we can think of to get members to figure out how to update their registration profile, but when we even mention the term "registration" they give us many blank stares and have no recollection of having signed up for the website in the first place. We get many dozen bounce back e-mails each time we attempt to send one, so we just don't use it anymore.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

jeffphil wrote:Because our stake no longer attempts use of that feature. A very small percentage of the members ever bothered to register in the first place, and of those that did, a very high percentage of them have invalid or obsolete e-mail addresses registered. We've tried everything we can think of to get members to figure out how to update their registration profile, but when we even mention the term "registration" they give us many blank stares and have no recollection of having signed up for the website in the first place. We get many dozen bounce back e-mails each time we attempt to send one, so we just don't use it anymore.
We have a high number of bounce back as well but I thought that those that have registered would be the most likely to visit the Church's other web sites.
oscarschultz

MLS as a jump start

Post by oscarschultz »

I like the idea of using MLS as a message jump starter. Asking a clerk to pass a message along to a Bishop or a group of people would be slow but for my Ward it would work. In my Ward the rule of HT/VT stats and callings is if it does not get entered into the computer (the official records) it did not happen. MLS is the single contact my Ward will make with the Church each week - we have to make the weekly deposit. It may take a few days for the Membership clerk or the financial clerk review the message but they do review the logs. It would be really great if the message function could be divided up in to queues based on the membership number. A full email package based on evolution or kmail for each MLS account holder would be a great plus.

oscar
seangates

Post by seangates »

Well, I've taken approach that if I help sign up a couple of friends who are members of the Church here at work then I have done my part. :-) Word of mouth is the most powerful tool I have seen in my life. I think that if a good "product" is supplied here, then interested users will come, and then tell others about it.

My two cents.

Sean
garysturn

Feedback

Post by garysturn »

I wonder sometimes if there is anyone here reading the comments from the Chruch departments responsible for the different projects. It would be nice to have people responsible for FamilySearch or the MIS or other projects posting in the Forums so that people know that someone is paying attention to what is going on here. I think that just having them participating in the Forums and letting people know that their ideas and comments are being heard would do wonders to retention of users.

One idea on getting the word out. The church has an email list for registered Priesthood leaders over Family History and registered Family History Consultants. You could make an announcement about this web site in that e-mail list. You could include a handout in the e-mail and ask recipients to print it out and post it in their ward building or in the Family History Centers. Priesthood leaders who register include Stake Presidencies, High Council, Bishopric, and High Priest Group leaders. Because the registeration program is only a few months old, not everyone that should be registered has, but it would get the word out to a lot of people.

Here is a link to past e-mails from that list: https://help.familysearch.org/kb/Local_ ... memos.html

Here is a link to the Church page where Priesthood leaders and Consultants are asked to register.
http://www.lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,6684-1,00.html
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Actually, I wonder if some of these folks running blogs could be convinced to move their blogs to the forum? That would certainly boost membership here.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, I wonder if some of these folks running blogs could be convinced to move their blogs to the forum? That would certainly boost membership here.
I like that idea alot, a centralized place right here under the tech.lds.org domain where technical employees of the Church can host their blogs.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

GarysTurn wrote: One idea on getting the word out. The church has an email list for registered Priesthood leaders over Family History and registered Family History Consultants. You could make an announcement about this web site in that e-mail list. You could include a handout in the e-mail and ask recipients to print it out and post it in their ward building or in the Family History Centers. Priesthood leaders who register include Stake Presidencies, High Council, Bishopric, and High Priest Group leaders. Because the registeration program is only a few months old, not everyone that should be registered has, but it would get the word out to a lot of people.
This is a great idea! I've been mentioning this forum to the clerks in our ward as well as the family history consultants/workers and they are excited to hear about it. I think people don't realize that these forums can be used for regular user issues and concerns, not just techie talk about the Church's IT infrastructure and applications. Emailing user groups would be a great idea.

RussellHltn wrote:Actually, I wonder if some of these folks running blogs could be convinced to move their blogs to the forum? That would certainly boost membership here.
I second Mike's comments. Moving the blogs here would be a great idea.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bhofmann wrote:I think people don't realize that these forums can be used for regular user issues and concerns, not just techie talk about the Church's IT infrastructure and applications.
Officially, not yet. Tom's promised that it's in the works, but it's not yet.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

RussellHltn wrote:Officially, not yet. Tom's promised that it's in the works, but it's not yet.
Correct, we are working on some ways to provide more "end user help".

Tom

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”