Goals for 2007

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.

Do you agree?

I'm neutral
84%
I'm neutral
3%
I'm neutral
13%

Total votes: 31

blackrg

Post by blackrg »

tomw wrote:I totally agree with your concern about people dropping off. WHat other ideas do people have that would allow us to get involved and build community?

[thread=228]Here is a thread[/thread] that discusses some of the existing open source projects that you can get involved in.

[thread=245]Here is a thread[/thread] where the Church has asked for help from people to work on a specific projects.

Tom
In keeping people active, I think it's important to consider why they come here in the first place. Just off the top of my head, I have the following:
  1. To find information on new and exciting things going on in Church technology.
  2. To suggest ideas they may have that they feel will help and they also feel will at least be considered.
  3. To receive help with a problem or issue they may be facing.
I feel 1. is well met by keeping a very updated thread of new happenings in church technology - I think it would be much better if it were threads - each one representing a different department/facet/etc. of church technology.

Sometimes even some of the minor week to week happenings in various departments that those departments consider trivial would be of interest to the members of this forum. I think it also needs to be remember that each of us here probably has at least slightly different interests in church technology - hence the need for info from different departments. One may be interested in what's going on with the new familysearch website in development, while another wants to know about coming MLS changes, and yet another is interested in changes that may be planned for record keeping systems used by the temples (and no, I'm not just throwing the last one out, that one is actually of interest to me even though I'm doubting it's one that would have been anticipated by many here).

For #2 I'm well aware that we're not here to dictate the direction of Church products, but the Church has already indicated that it has found value in some of the suggestions here like the mapping idea. I think #2 can best be satisfied if every time someone from a Church department found something of value here that influenced their development/implementation/support track in some way that a note was made of it in a dedicated thread(s) so that the people here (and particularly newcomers as well to encourage participation) could see that while we obviously don't dictate the direction, our input is often valued, considered, and can even occasionally make a difference.

#3 is more of a policy decision I guess the various support departments need to consider. The simple truth is that even if these forums are deemed to NOT be for support issues, you're still going to have the occasional user showing up here seeking support. Now since many of the existing support departments do not offer any sort of forum support that I'm aware of, perhaps they could consider allowing such here vs either omitting it completely or implementing their own. If support were done here though, I think at a minimum a change to people's identifiers (member, moderator, etc.) would need to be made to very clearly identify those posting here in any sort of official capacity. There's also the possibility that support forums here could lighten support loads as knowledgeable members assist with what are often already well known problems. Important posts could be made sticky, transfers of commonly needed files might be more easily accomplished through this site, and if needed, responses could probably be limited to only "official" support staff (that way you can keep the lay member response out if you want while still funneling those who show up looking for support to a place to accomplish it instead of directing them elsewhere).

I think the things I listed above, or things like them (these are merely suggestions after all) would go a long way towards naturally helping to build a sense of community around here. I think it's also possible to implement these things in such a way as to only have a minimal impact on the resources of the departments/groups participating.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

epoulin wrote:The goal is a great one. We are getting a number of bright people here, it will be great to "put us to work" rather than just sharing ideas and banter.
In order to include the number of users you hope to join LDSTech, I hope the workshops will be online workshops, not in person where only Salt Lake Valley folks can attend. If you truly want the best ideas, keep in mind they are not all local to any venue.
I agree with these goals and also am excited for the web versions so I can participate. I'm spreading the word but I don't think we'll have enough here in Tulsa Oklahoma to have anything here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:Tom's goals seem very numeric and aiming to me...:D
The distinction is subtle. A planning number is to know how big a server to use, how to configure things, how to organize the forum - is all fine. It's when you lay down a number and the number becomes an aim unto it's self that I start to cringe. The difference is how important is the actual number.

The real question here is just how, uh, "creative" are things going to get if the numbers are not met? I'm sure a lot of people have seen cases were good intentions have led to ... "interesting" experiences.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

haledn wrote:Anyone that wants to can post examples of their work and ask for feedback. Experts can provide step by step tutorials of work they have done. (Granted, this may be more straightforward with artwork, but I think that we could learn a thing or two that we could apply here)
These forums do provide a way to post code, screenshots, and other collaberation ideas. The only thing that they do not provide is a way to host a project's source code. But most use SourceForge or LDSOSS or Microsoft's open source hosting server (I forgot the name).
As for the tutorials, I am sure people would gladly post them, they just need to know what tutorials people want to see.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:These forums do provide a way to post code, screenshots, and other collaberation ideas.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it only allows links to posted content. It won't actually host the images, etc. If I'm correct, it makes it more of a
hassle to post such things. Which tends to discourage effective sharing.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I've intentionally disabled the uploading of images, etc. If everyone things it would be worthwhile, I could enable that. Thoughts?

Tom
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

tomw wrote:I've intentionally disabled the uploading of images, etc. If everyone things it would be worthwhile, I could enable that. Thoughts?

Tom
I had to email you a screenshot before to illustrate something. I can see how screenshots could come in handy in explaining a feature, idea, suggestion, bug, etc.

I'm under the impression that we could enable it and see how it goes. We would want to encourage everyone to use the ability sparingly. If it ever gets out of hand or inappropriate, it can always be disabled again.

Just my thoughts...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is there a way to disable until a poster has reached the first "level" of forum membership? That way spammers (Newbies) can't come in and post something inappropriate. Once someone is a "real" member, the way to deal with a inappropriate graphic is the same as inappropriate text.

While I can see the storage demands would go up, I think that would signify a successful forum. I'm not sure how it would be abused otherwise.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Is there a way to disable until a poster has reached the first "level" of forum membership?
I think that's a terrific idea, if it is implementable.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

What would be considered the first level. As it is everyone has to post once to become a new member. You need 100 posts to become a Senior Member and I think 20 or 50 posts to become a member. I personally think after 10 posts and a good reputation that you should be able to post an image/screenshot.
- David

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”