New post: The New LDS.org Menu

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

kisaac wrote:Just curious...how are you "working to determine which is valid?"

"Usability studies," or surveys of whole wards, or do you collect the feedback mainly from users (on this forum and the "feedback" links) to make such a determination?

At the moment things like "this page is broken", "sign in isn't keeping me signed in", etc are the things we are going after. Things like "I don't like the new structure" falls in the who moved my cheese category.

I won't speak for the process that got us here or going forward as that's not my stewardship (studies, surveys, etc). Things that are broken are in my stewardship so that is what I am trying to respond to.
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
barkeraj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by barkeraj »

We appreciate the difficulties that have come up as a result of the new header. We would naturally have loved for it to be much smoother, but that apparently wasn't in the cards.

We know there are a number of issues like links breaking, not going where expected, sign in not working, etc, etc. We have a long list of things we are still working through. Please don't take our lack of individual response to mean that we aren't hearing you. We are working through things as fast as we can, and hopefully things will start to stabilize soon.

Please be patient with us as we get through our list of issues. LDS.org is a very large and complicated site. There are lots of things for us to work through and we are working as fast as we can.

Thank you for your support. Bringing up issues/complaints at least let us know that you care :)
Aaron Barker
Front-end Development Lead for LDS.org (content portions, not apps) and Ward Executive Secretary.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

kisaac wrote:Just curious...how are you "working to determine which is valid?"

"Usability studies," or surveys of whole wards, or do you collect the feedback mainly from users (on this forum and the "feedback" links) to make such a determination?
I think this affinity diagram study was one component of the user research that preceded the menu change: http://tech.lds.org/blog/429-affinity-diagramming-for-ldsorg.Other studies were probably done as well. I know the user research team used Treejack (a usability tool to determine paths users take) to gather information about the effectiveness of the change.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

BarkerAJ wrote:Thank you for your support. Bringing up issues/complaints at least let us know that you care :)

And please remember that we complain because we care. We love the new tools and are excited to use them. We are frustrated when other members cannot get them to work to their advantage (or when unexpected changes prevent us from using the tools like we used to be able to do). I know we sometimes are an impatient bunch, but consider that in a good way.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”