OLPC aka XO Laptop aka $100 laptop

This forum will hold posts about new technologies and how they could be or are being used to benefit the Church.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

rmrichesjr wrote:Bringing to mind how my EE and physics professors of former decades would correct the above...

The correct way to say that is "it draws only a couple of watts", period. Or, to be extra wordy, you could say "it draws only a couple of watt-hours per hour". The Watt is a unit of power. The Watt-hour is a unit of energy. Power is energy divided by time. Energy is power multiplied by time.
thedqs wrote:Though I believe the recharging mechanism generates AC power.
Though the storage medium is DC, true.
We surely go off on tangents easily, don't we. (no trigonometry pun intended)

The point in my posting above was the difference between energy and power.

The imaginary component, the 'j' term, is only relevant if you're working with power factor issues. The cosine of theta factor is the difference between Watts and Volt-Amps. In a discussion of Watts vs. Watt-hours, it is irrelevant.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Point taken.
Though you mentioned EE. Whenever their is the mention of EE you must always have a j in there. Even if you say e^(pi*j)+1=0. :D

Just a personal observation.

But going back to the original point of the thread.
Another idea would be that these laptops would be a cheaper laptop to give in business travels since you only need limited software.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Though I believe the recharging mechanism generates AC power.
Though the storage medium is DC, true.
I thought we were talking about the power supplied to the unit (DC), not what it uses internally. If it only draws 2W, that's about 40 hours on a small 7Ah battery.
cannona-p40

Post by cannona-p40 »

There's a nice video on the XO here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoghPvyhts
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

cannona wrote:There's a nice video on the XO here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBoghPvyhts
Cool video. Having watched this project for quite some time, originally I was sceptical. I'm starting to be a believer in it. The key will be if those who the laptop was truly designed for can use it to better their education and gain access to more information. If internet connectivity continues to be a problem in certain regions of the world, it will limit the effectiveness of this product.

Tom
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

What is cool though is that if one person in your area has internet connection then everyone can get connected and that can go on for a lot of jumps so it could bring internet connectivity to an entire region.

I especially liked the durability of the laptop.
- David

Return to “Emerging Technologies”